Saturday, August 29, 2009

Whose idea was that?

NO.MORE.GARAGE.SALES. EVER. EV-ER.
It was hot. And sweaty. And SLOW. I had been stashing stuff for way too long..."for the garage sale"..this elusive garage sale I kept insisting that I was going to have.
I think we made around $250...which is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick...
And would you believe that an older woman who spoke broken English stole from me? I gave her a great deal on a pile of boys shorts and swim trunks and she ended up stealing a few items! Really?! Stealing? At your age? From a GARAGE SALE? Not to mention my magic number was "one dollar". I was giving stuff away! She didn't need to steal it!
BUT...then there was the nice lady that wanted some of my used christian books that I just gave to her...so she told us to keep the 50 cents change because she was so glad to get a pile of free books. It was a nice gesture.
Bottom line? It's over. And it's ALL out of my house and garage and shed. Next weekend? Garage cleaning and organizing. I can't wait...for real. That is one chore that is long overdue.
And now, if you'll excuse me, I must lie down. I'll post about something more interesting later...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

don't get me started about garage sale patrons. they are a unique set of people. except when you and I visit one of course.

now, go relax already

Lelainia N. Lloyd said...

I have been hemming and hawing about having one all summer and filing stuff away for it. You've just sealed the deal. I am NOT NOT NOT having one. I'm just going to pack it all up, fill the car and drop it at a thrift store. Let them have all the fun. I just want the stuff out of here anyway. It's not about the money.

People STEALING from a garage sale. Now that's LOW. I mean really. If they needed it that bad, they could simply have asked. I am sure you would have given it to them, right? *shakes head*

I hope you spend the $250 on something nice and artsy for yourself.

WhiteStone said...

Garage sale = huge amount of work. I'm fortunate in that hubby usually tackles most of the work. But this past year I've simply filled boxes and bags (a couple at a time) and took them to the hospital auxiliary consignment shop. So much easier! P.S. I always love it when I find Christian books at a yard sale!

Wren said...

Oh, no. I've been squirreling a pile in the basement for a sale. Usually impromptu, at the end of the drive out of the back of the tractor wagon. Sorry to hear things were crazy. Hope you had a nice soak and have your feet up!!

Elaine said...

Garage Sales....ah....

Never again. It's also my mantra.

I had the mother of all garage sales when my husband's grandparents passed away and left a homesteaded farm full of items behind. It lasted about 10 week ends altogether. It was exhausting and crazy! People stole stuff, I gave stuff away, I sold stuff for WAY less than it was worth to baracuda antique dealers.

Never again. I'm with ya.

A Friend Across the Miles said...

Didn't we just "talk" about this? But you make a valid point - you're $250 richer than you were. And what's up with the sticky-fingered grandma? We had one of those come by once, except she stole corn from the stalks growing along the driveway. My brother confronted her and, of course, she completely denied everything, which probably would have worked, except she had corn silk sticking out the top of her shirt. Dead giveaway.

Time to relax, my friend!

pinkpeppercorns said...

Ooooof, you poor dear.

Take up selling baseball cards on eBay. I wonder which is worse. heh

I hope you are able to pamper yourself.

Just Jenn said...

Sincerely, congratulations. They're so much work! Good for you for getting it done. =) (I have dreams of getting the chance to clean out the garage too - ah, maybe someday)

Nancy said...

I have vowed to never again do a garage sale...too much work for what I get in return. I just load it up and take it to the thrift store.

Anonymous said...

OMG! OMG! Really she stole from a garage sale? And you didn't take her down?

We had a garage sale once. ONCE. We put it in the local paper and these old ladies came to my house at like 7am and were trying to press their noses into my house to try to bargain with me before I even got it out of my entryway.

I am doing a cleanout this week while I'm off and I know I COULD make some money off of some of this stuff, but I just do not have the patience.