Sunday, August 23, 2009

Well, isn't that just peachy...

I know...I know. I couldn't help myself. My pastor is doing a sermon series on the gifts of the spirit...and we haven't gotten to self-control yet. So...until then...bad jokes it is. Speaking of self-control...or lack thereof...I'm eating chocolate chips right out of the bag. Sometimes a girl just needs a straight shot of chocolate, you know?
So can you guess what I'm getting ready to do?
Yep. You're right. I'm getting ready to can peaches in light syrup. Yum. We just ate the last jar from last year's canning and they were SO good I just had to make more. And thank goodness I decided to do it today because the ranch where I purchase them is going to be done with peaches today or tomorrow! I was literally just in time! Thank goodness...I would have been so sad if I'd missed peaches this year.
I paid five dollars a box for these peaches...I thought that was a pretty good price. And they're delicious. This ranch has been in our area for years and years. The woman who sold them to me can't be less than 75 years old. She owns the ranch. And sells boxes of peaches and plums and nectarines every day. She also sells mandarins later in the season. Her property is beautiful with a gorgeous view of the hills and orchards all around.
Well...I suppose I should quit procrastinating and go heat up the canning pot!

8 comments:

Nancy said...

Oh yum! You're gonna be a busy gal but you're gonna love having those in your pantry.

rhonda jean said...

Oh dear, they look delicious. We had to cut down our peach tree so I'll be buying a box this season for jam and eating fresh. Oor season is around Christmas. Happy canning!

Lelainia N. Lloyd said...

I'll have you know I about killed myself trying to reach through the screen to grab myself one of those peaches! YUM!!!

No fair teasing me like that!!

Hannah said...

oh....they look delicious! have fun!

Tammy said...

have fun! I'm thinking I'm going to be trying this in Summer .. my first time!

Anonymous said...

well, i don't have a picture to prove it but I froze peaches the other day - i had 64 in total. next year is my year for canning.

You Can Call Me Jane said...

I have a couple things to say. First off, our church recently did a series of sermons on the fruit of the Spirit. Did you know that an easy way to remember them is to remember that the first three have one syllable (love, joy, peace), the second three have two syllables (patience, kindness, goodness)and the last three have three syllables (faithfulness, gentleness, self-control). Not rocket science, but I had never thought of that. Secondly, *I* eat chocolate chips right out of the bag. That's why I can no longer buy them. I missed the Sunday about self-control. Seriously, I did. Oh, and your peaches look lovely:-).

pinkpeppercorns said...

Wow! $5 a box! That's about what it would cost for a single peach at the farmers' market here.