Saturday, September 28, 2013
The other day I came home from work to find this big box of beautiful tomatoes sitting on the porch. Inside was a note from one of Chris' friends that we haven't seen or heard from in quite some time. Nothing like a visit from a long lost friend bearing amazing produce!
I was thrilled. Especially since I had recently purchased a few tomatoes from the grocery store and could have sworn I was eating a wet sponge and not a tomato. This glorious gift was going to ensure that I get to eat delicious spinach salads for a little while longer!
And tomorrow...homemade tomato sauce will be simmering away on the stove. I've never made tomato sauce from scratch before...wish me luck!
Posted by Michelle @ Give a Girl a Fig at 12:49 PM
Wednesday, September 25, 2013
Tuesday, September 24, 2013
I know when my Iron level is low because I begin to crave spinach, mushrooms, onions and oatmeal...not all combined, mind you.
And lately, I can't seem to get enough spinach salad with Noni's vinaigrette. It's so good...and so simple. Fresh spinach, tomato, red onion, vinegar and olive oil, salt, pepper, granulated garlic. Toss a handful of spinach into a bowl, add very thinly sliced red onion, chopped tomato (fresh from the garden preferably...I bought a tomato the other day and it was so awful), a swish of oil and a swish of vinegar, some salt, pepper and garlic...toss, and eat! Not sure what I'm going to do when the summer tomatoes are gone and I am forced to buy them from the store because I'm convinced that the ripe, juicy tomato is what's really making this salad special. That, and lots of vinegar. Mm mm...
I've been having this salad with lunch...as a snack after work...with dinner...once I even had it as an evening snack.
Isn't it so amazing that our bodies tell us what we need? I'm glad that I'm learning to pay attention.
Posted by Michelle @ Give a Girl a Fig at 7:17 AM
Saturday, September 21, 2013
Seth is officially a college student!
We moved him in Tuesday and so far he's having the time of his life.
As for me? I've only cried a few times.
Reminding myself that I am more happy for him than I am sad for myself.
Life is good...
Posted by Michelle @ Give a Girl a Fig at 8:14 AM
Saturday, September 14, 2013
Life is crazy...I just spent the last 24 hours sick with (what is believed to be) a kidney stone. Today is better but not best...taking it easy and laying low.
In the meantime, we are preparing to take Seth to college on Monday...he moves in Tuesday...and then spends the next week getting to know the school, the routine and his roommates...I can't believe it's really happening. I feel like there's so much left to do...but maybe most of it is internal. And maybe most of it really only has to do with me and how this is all going to play out in my life...in my role as mom. The hardest part is all of the unknown...but it is what it is. May as well do my best to enjoy the ride.
So for today it's laundry (a nice slow, easy thing that I can do while feeling under the weather), drinking lots of fluids (to flush that sucker out), and eating soup and crackers. Not what I originally had planned for this weekend...but again...it is what it is.
Posted by Michelle @ Give a Girl a Fig at 12:25 PM
Wednesday, September 11, 2013
I will never forget...
Posted by Michelle @ Give a Girl a Fig at 7:11 AM
Tuesday, September 10, 2013
- the leaves are beginning to fall...
- my oldest son is leaving for college in a week. I need to be ready.
- my youngest son is learning to drive. I need to be ready.
- the realization that my boys are men...that they will soon move on...is unfathomable.
- and the realization that I am halfway through my life...is a sobering thought...but one that I am trying to embrace and learn to live optimistically...shifting gears and trying to figure out how to live it out well.
- I've been fighting tears for days...weeks...today, yesterday, (for the next week? or two?) they are proving inevitable.
- Life isn't easy, is it?
No. Life isn't easy. But it's good. And full of good things.
Doing my best to stay focused.
Posted by Michelle @ Give a Girl a Fig at 6:37 AM
Monday, September 9, 2013
"Getting stuck can be the best thing that could happen to us, because it forces us
to stop. It halts the momentum of our lives. We have no choice but to notice
what is around us, and we end up searching for Jesus.”
― Michael Yaconelli, Messy Spirituality
Posted by Michelle @ Give a Girl a Fig at 7:00 AM
Saturday, September 7, 2013
|The cheerio cracks me up.|
- Did you know that the old Ellen sitcom from the 90's is on again? I watched three episodes this morning and cracked up.
- I've come to the conclusion that you just can't skimp on some things...mayonnaise and laundry detergent being two of them.
- Wood floors...I like them. Easier to care for than I thought. However, I don't like being able to see every dog slobber...it's disgusting. BUT, would it be even more disgusting if that was just soaking into carpet? I'm thinking so. Bleh.
- Speaking of dogs...I think I am just more of a cat person.
- Forecast says hot temps the next few days. I'm mad.
- I went to an impromptu dinner out with girlfriends last night...it was a much needed girly night.
- So far today I've done two loads of laundry, (watched three episodes of Ellen), taken a shower, vacuumed, dusted, made the bed, and ate some breakfast. For a second I thought that was pretty good...until I looked at the clock and saw that it was almost noon.
Have a great Saturday...xoxo
Posted by Michelle @ Give a Girl a Fig at 12:04 PM
Wednesday, September 4, 2013
Monday, September 2, 2013
On Saturday both of the boys were hanging out with friends and running around here and there so Chris and I decided to "do something". We hopped in the car and headed to Benicia, a small town about 30 miles from here. We walked around, went to antique stores, had (a not-so-great) lunch, stopped at an estate sale, drove around the neighborhoods looking at homes...on the water, on the hills, with views, without...then stopped for a waffle cone. It was a good day...a much needed mini-getaway for the both of us.
Yesterday was a home day...not a lot going on...just moving slow, doing laundry, picked up some groceries...Chris made a fire in the fire pit in the evening and we made s'mores. The sunset was amazing...they have been lately. I'm not sure what's going on with the weather but during the day the clouds are so interesting...then when the sun sets on them the colors are so vibrant. I love sunsets...
As for today? Well, we're just getting started. (And not at a very fast pace.) More laundry...some meal planning...some paperwork...some bill paying...and hopefully Chris will make some homemade salsa. Our tomatoes have been so lame this summer he hasn't made batch yet! Thank goodness for neighbors who barter tomatoes for a bottle of ketchup!
Posted by Michelle @ Give a Girl a Fig at 9:03 AM