Monday, August 3, 2009

It's a gourd!

Well, here it is. Our first birdhouse gourd. We clipped it from the crazy vine last night. We couldn't believe how big it was considering I just checked on it two days ago. Didn't I tell you it grows like crazy?!
It was pretty funny actually...it was Chris and Ian and me out in the garden at dusk. I watered while Chris removed Mr. Stripey, our loser heirloom tomato that hasn't done a thing but grow lots of green leaves since we transplanted the tomatoes a while back. Oh, it would push out a blossom here or there...but then they would shrivel up and fall off. But the plant continued to grow, eventually shading out the peppers. So, it had to go. Mr. Stripey is officially compost.
Anyway...so we're out in the garden pulling up plants, watering, eating cherry tomatoes right off the vine when we decide to check the gourd. Well, lo and behold it was big...and ready...I think. Once we freed it from the plant and gawked at it for a minute or two I said, "Ian...run and get my camera!"
We couldn't decide where to keep it for drying. From what I remember they need to dry for a long time. I want to say a year...but I have yet to verify that. I have some Googling to do a bit later! Finally, after several different locations, we decided to let it rest in the rusty bird bath.
As I was taking photo after photo, eventually I drew the lens back to normal view and this is what I saw......the beautiful pole beans edged by sweet bush beans. And if you look carefully in the background you can see the odd, yet beautiful, gourd...sitting patiently in the bird bath...awaiting it's transformation.
Gardening definitely is a lesson in patience, isn't it?

6 comments:

WhiteStone said...

I planted two heirloom tomatoes and the same thing happened here...all plant and very few blossoms. Huge vines. Sprawling everywhere. Lot of talk and no action. LOL

Elaine said...

Congratulations on your bouncing baby gourd! Gardening IS a lesson in patience! I love each step it takes year after year....

I miss my garden. I love seeing yours!

Love!

Kelly said...

R.I.P. Mr. Stripey.

What a plump gourd you have, that will make a fine birdhouse. A local farm has a craftsman that uses copper wire to decorate the gourd a bit and make the hanging wire. I can't wait to see your finished product...sounds like it may be a while!

Anonymous said...

Your pictures are great! At first I thought the gourd was ginormous. It scared me a little.

A Friend Across the Miles said...

Great photos Michelle! And you're right - gardening is a lesson in patience, and so much more. Like temperance and anger management...

Happy day to you, my friend!

Wren said...

This is great! Can't wait to see what you do with it! I haven't had luck with gourds. Maybe not enough sun?