Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Green beans and brown eggs.

Today was a good day in the garden.

The green beans are growing like crazy! (Don't you just love that shriveled up little blossom hanging on to the end of that sweet bean? I love it!)

I may have waited a little long to harvest some of them...they're a bit big. But...better big than wasted. So I waited until I knew we were going to EAT them.

As I was heading into the house...because it felt like it was 4000 degrees outside...I spotted a few red tomatoes and had to pluck them, too.
They were history about 2 minutes after this photo was taken. And they were GOOD, too. And yes. I bite my fingernails. Ugly, I know.
And...as I hoped...the girls are steady laying eggs. Beautiful, brown eggs.

I think that only three of the girls have laid eggs. I think that one of the Barred Rocks has yet to lay. I'm not sure as I haven't been watching their every move. But I have observed that the Buff's spend more time in the hen house scratching and squatting. And I saw one of the Barred Rock's doing the same thing. But I don't know for sure. All I DO know for sure is that we're getting FRESH EGGS! I've been waiting months for this...years if you count the time I spent researching and waiting for my sweet chickens. It's SO exciting. I cant even begin to tell you. I highly recommend chicken keeping. It is so fun. So satisfying. And really, so easy. Who knew?

7 comments:

Elaine said...

Brown eggs and green beans. Two of my favorite things! I love it!

You Can Call Me Jane said...

I love the new pictures at the top of your page- lovely!

Nancy said...

All in a days work, right? So glad your garden & girls are producing for you!

Anonymous said...

we had green beans from my mom and dads garden last night : )

Kelly said...

I love seeing how much joy the eggs are bringing you, chickens are such wonderful creatures!

Wren said...

Seriously! Who knew about the chickens? They are easy! We were going to get 6, but talked Dad down to 4. At 4 eggs a day, it is more than the four adults here can eat. We are still giving some away. Planning to start stocking them up though, for when they slow down this winter. Already getting dark early... did you read about water glassing eggs in "Backyard Homestead"?

Erica said...

Beautiful beans and eggs! Nothing brings more joy to me than picking stuff right out of the garden to eat :)