Friday, August 21, 2009

Success!!

Direct quote from an email from my sister in law this morning:
"I called you yesterday to let you know the okra was the bomb!!!!!!!"

This makes me SO HAPPY! And I don't even LIKE okra!
(And I just have to tell this little story...last weekend while I was buying the okra there was an older woman getting some, too and we struck up a conversation. And every time I went to say the word okra I would say, "Oprah". So I was cooking "Oprah" and preparing "Oprah" and pickling "Oprah". I could not get it right! Then I was telling my brother about pickling the Oprah...and telling Chris about pickling the Oprah. It was quite frustrating. Especially considering I like Oprah about as much as I like OKRA!)

4 comments:

Wren said...

My dad's saying: "I'll eat anything but okra!"
I've never eaten it, even when we lived in the south. I do however remember lots of "sausage biscuits" and "grits".

A Friend Across the Miles said...

Okra - I've been afraid of it ever since I heard it described as "like eating pond scum. It has the same texture." But congratulations on your success! I love the caraway(?) seeds on the pods.

The "Oprah" bit makes me laugh...and I need it today. Thank you!!!

pinkpeppercorns said...

The only way I remember ever eating okra was when I was growing up and it was in a can of Campbell's soup (which I haven't gone near in years). It was so mushy and gross. How clever of you to pickle it.

pinkpeppercorns said...

Oh, and Oprah needs to be pickled. heh