Thursday, January 21, 2010

good eating. and a school report.

It's been a busy week. I've been running since... Gosh. Since...um...
Hmmm...I can't remember when I wasn't running this past week or so!
All the more reason I needed to stay home this morning and take a breather. I work at two...but until then, I'm going slow. I'll peck away at some laundry...and I need to dust...but my main goal today was to just take it kind of slow.
I ate some oatmeal for breakfast...with dried cranberries and chopped walnuts. And of course, brown sugar and butter. So yummy...and so good for me. I always feel better instantly once I've eaten a bowl of oatmeal. I feel full...and satisfied. And healthy. There might be some argument about the butter...but..that's OK. At least it's not margarine.
Last night I made a good, healthy dinner. I made some chicken in my grill pan seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic powder. I roasted some potatoes, carrots and leeks mixed with olive oil, fresh cracked pepper and Kosher salt. Then to add some green to the mix I sauteed some broccoli with onion and chopped cabbage seasoned with sesame oil, salt, red pepper flakes, a splash of chicken broth and soy sauce. I sauteed in on high heat then turned the heat off and covered ti to steam for 5 minutes or so until the chicken finished cooking.
And I have to say...it was a good dinner! The broccoli and cabbage mixture tasted like chow mein...which means now I have to try and figure out how to make it! I figure I can just do what I did then add some noodles...and voila...(or however you'd say that in Chinese...tsing tao? No...I think that might be beer, hmmmm)...chow mein! Maybe toss in a little leftover pork or chicken? The possibilities are endless! That could be another great way to use up some leftovers, too. I'm liking this train of thought...
Anyway...thinking ahead I made extra potatoes and carrots in preparation to make myself a yummy, warm and healthy soup for lunch today! I'm going to add the leftover vegetables...including a bit of leftover cabbage, too...to chicken broth. I'll warm it through...then blend it with my immersion blender. Et...voila...roasted vegetable soup! Doesn't that sound good? I think so. But then again, I'm a soup kinda girl.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

So...yeah....I went to my first day of COLLEGE ON TUESDAY. Oh my...all day I was anxious about it. But by the time I got going...and got on the military base where some of the classes are held...and into my classroom...I was fine. And ready.

I'm going to say the average age in the classroom is roughly...oh...35? That's about right. So I'm not TOO old to be there...although I am one of the more mature students. But that's OK...someone said 40 is the new 30...so I'll take it.
The instructor is very nice. And very young. She refused to tell us her age. I'm guessing 30-35. But she looks even younger. Either way...she's nice. And she's engaging. And interesting. Which will make this a whole lot easier to do. I can't think of anything worse than sitting in a classroom for 4 hours listening to a droning instructor. And yes, I said 4 hours. The classes are accelerated...so we meet once a week for four hours. And I have to say, it went by surprisingly fast.
I decided to start with one class at the recommendation of my mom. She thought it would be a good idea to start slow and get my feet wet before diving in. At first I was like, "No way mom! I'm GOING FOR IT! I'm DOING THIS! I'm running out of time. I'm no spring chicken! I have WORK to do! Time is short! Seize the moment!! Get out of my way!"
Or...something like that. (Right, mom?)
Anyway...once all was said and done...and I started actually planning my schedule, it just worked out best that I start with one class. Mother truly does know best...
I had a revelation at the beginning of the week during one of my hyperventilation sessions. I realized that the reason I was so nervous about going back to school is that, this time, I do not have the option to stop. I do not have the option to quit. It is just not in the cards this time around. I have started and stopped college more times than I care to admit. And every time, I had good intentions. And high hopes. But as soon as an obstacle got in the way...I yielded to it. And I stopped. This time? Obstacles must either be moved...or walked around. No stopping. Not this time.
So with this revelation I thought, "Holy cow. This is IT! I am really going to have to DO this. What was I thinking?!"
Not to mention....I've told EVERYONE I know that I am going back to school. And I've given everyone I know permission to hold me accountable. Seriously. What was I thinking?!
I'll tell you what I was thinking. I was thinking that my track record for sticking with something is not the best record out there. And I was also thinking that I know myself...real well. And telling everyone and allowing people to hold me accountable was probably one of the smartest things I've done!
So...we're off. Or at least, I am. And I'm excited. Thank you for listening...and for encouraging me. And...if I start to slack...feel free to smack me upside my head!

9 comments:

Nancy said...

Love the oatmeal. I had that this morning with brown sugar, craisins and a bit of milk. Mmm. Your dinner sounds lovely too. I make a stirfry served with rice that sounds similar to your cabbage/broccoli mix.

Sounds like a good first day at school. Hope you got new supplies...that's my favorite part of getting ready for school. I usually treat myself to a little somethin' somethin' when I'm getting supplies for my girls.

Unknown said...

Okay, so now we know that we are your accountability team. No quitting. Just think, though... there is an end - a DIPLOMA!!

Sounds like you are getting a lot of the same items in your CSA box. So far this week I made a Mediterranean Spinach and Leek Soup with potatoes (Tues.), Grilled Curry Chicken, Mashed Rutabagas and Turnips with Caramelized Onions, and tonight is Beef and Cabbage Soup - the wind is blowing like CRAZY down here in So. CA. Rain mixed with snow. A real soup night!

Anonymous said...

Firstly, I'm with you--oatmeal makes me feel better about life and health.
Second--good for you on your first class! That is so great!!

Elyse said...

So many things to tell you! LOVE that oatmeal, looks sooo yummy and yes even butter in moderation is healthy!!! :-)
Dinner and soup sound FABULOUS!! Can I come over? i'm hungry! ;-)

and I am SO PROUD OF YOU for starting school and not quitting!! it is going to be so rewarding, just wait and see! I am so glad you got a good teacher, I really loathe the boring ones. I also go to school for 4 hours 1ce a week so I can relate!

YOU GO GIRL!!!

(and thank you sooo much for your always encouraging words!!!!)

T said...

Huh. I never would have guessed that about you... that you don't necessarily stick with things. I actually don't think it's quite accurate. Maybe you see the things you quit more than you see the things you do complete. I used to think that about myself too... now I try to view myself more accurately by giving myself credit for the things I do finish. Just a thought...

And about the accountability thing... brilliant. That's the same reason I started blogging about running. I'll hold you to it... do the same for me, 'kay? :-)

Anonymous said...

your meals all sound so good. and, i just saw that immersion blender trick this week on one of the food channel shows - i think it was giada.

it is good you told everyone your plans. now, everyone will be asking you about it and like you said - keeping you accountable.

Unknown said...

I'm glad your school experience was so rewarding, learning never has an expiration date.

Your soup sounded great, btw! I'm a non recipe user too, so if I stumble on something good, I panic too and try to take mental notes on what I did exactly so I can recreate it later!
Also, if you really like oatmeal, and tea (I'm a HUGE tea person) you should try making a bowl of oatmeal with hot teal instead of water. SO GOOD, and easy, obviously, just sort of unexpected! One of my fellow vegan friends turned me onto it, my favorite is earl gray oatmeal: pretty much what it sounds like, a bowl of oatmeal made with a nice piping hot mug of earl gray with the usual amount of milk you would add to the tea if you were drinking it, then just pour it in, stir, what have you...viola!
You can try really any tea you fancy, the possibilities are endless, and you could discover something really good, plus keep the oatmeal from getting boring!

pinkpeppercorns said...

Mmmmmmm, oatmeal! Mmmmmm, chow mein!

The seeds are coming. I've been so lazy lately. And I keep rethinking whether or not to garden this year.

A Friend Across the Miles said...

So you can expect me for dinner tomorrow night. I'm warming up the Family Truckster right now. I figure if I drive straight through, I'll make it in time...

You are SO going to do this, and do this WELL! God has got some children in mind that He wants YOU to touch, so there's no way you can not do this - He's got your back...and you've got a cheering section right here!

Okay, I'm out the door...road trip!
XXOO

~~Camie~~