Monday, January 4, 2010

closet shopper.

And I mean that literally. When I cleaned out my closet the other day, only to find several brand new items I'd purchased and stored away, it really felt like a bonus shopping trip! I quite literally, shopped my closet!
Among other things, I found these two framed rose pictures. Um...why did I not hang these up when I bought them? Seriously. I have no idea. Because I have to say, I'm really liking how they look hanging above my bed.
I wonder if I didn't hang them because the frames are a brushed silver and nothing else in my room is? Or maybe I thought they were too fancy for my ugly ol' room full of hodge-podge decor. Maybe I was concerned Chris would be opposed to all of the flowery goodness.
Or...maybe I was holding out for our dream house...and didn't want to waste pretty things on this house. I think that's probably more like it. I love to decorate. I love to nest. I love pretty things. I love to shop for household items...decorative items...lamps...towels and bedding...you name it.
So I shop...and I find things that I love...and then I buy them because I have learned that when you shop discount stores like I do (Home Goods, Marshall's, Ross....), you have to grab it when you see it because if you try to go back for it? It's gone. So I buy it...whatever it is...pictures, lamps, quilts, rugs. Then I bring it home and stuff it in the closet...storing it all away for that dream house. You know...the dream house that I still don't have? Yeah. That one.
Cleaning out the closet did more than just provide some much needed storage space. And it did more than prompt me to get rid of a pile of clothes I no longer wear. It encouraged me to dig out these pretty items and actually use them in this house. It encouraged me to turn this house into our dream house until the dream comes true. You know? Because really, what if we live in this house for the rest of our lives? Am I going to live temporarily and with ugly things forever just because we were never able to move? No. I'm not. I can't.
So. I'm hanging pictures. And using area rugs. And lamps. Including lava lamps. And I will continue to pretty up the place. And who knows...maybe just when I get it just like I want it...we'll finally get the opportunity to move to our next dream home!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so glad to see you taking joy in your house!! Nearly 10 years ago we rented a place while we built our "dream house". It was an OLD A-frame style house that should have been torn down. But I agreed to it because I was certain we'd be in and out in 6 months. I didn't do one thing to make it homey. (I was recovering from a surgery that left me slightly depressed and wasn't in the mood!).

Two and a half years LATER, we FINALLY moved out of that house. It was the only part of building that was miserable. So, here I find myself about to do the same thing. Sell, rent, build. This time, I intend to unpack a few things and make it a HOME!

T said...

So funny. I'm debating how much time and effort I want to put into my new place if I'm just going to move in July. Hmmm... there may be a lesson here. :) Thanks, Michelle!

Kelly said...

How pretty Michelle. Decorate away and kindly provide some more snapshots please.

Nancy said...

Funny that I find this here this morning because I was having the same thought as I was getting ready for work today. New lamps in our bedroom prompted that thought. I plan to share so stay tuned. Let's just say that I am not a decorator but I wish I had one. Want to come visit?

Good for you for making this house a home!

Anonymous said...

I say - use what you have! Use the good plates. Use the good cups. Use it girl. You've got it.

A Friend Across the Miles said...

Whenever I see pictures of your house, I think how welcome it seems to be. All those "little" things come together to make a wonderful home.

An open home, an open heart, here grows a bountiful harvest. ~~Judy Hand~~

~~Camie~~

sarah said...

P.S I love that font on your pretty pears!

sarah said...

Where could it have gone? I just left a long comment and it got erased somehow.. it went something like.. I love your stack of books, and most of all the ones on bees.. and it looks like you have a bee in your bonnett (I had to say it!)