Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Stack of library goodness.

I had placed a hold on Made from Scratch last week and on Sunday I received an email from the library that it was in. Have I ever mentioned how much I love the library's online hold option? Oh. I have? I'm sorry. I can't help it. I just...love it!

Is it still a pile if I call it a "stack"?

I had to run a few errands on Sunday and decided to pop into the library real quick to grab my book. On my way to the Hold Shelf I passed by the New Arrivals. And as you can see, there were quite a few that caught my eye.

So far I've looked at:
  • The 5-Minute Face by Carmindy of What Not to Wear - not impressed. It would be nice if I had perfect, flawless skin and a party to attend every other night. But...I don't.
  • Material Obsession - VERY impressed. To the point of putting it on my Wishlist at Amazon. I need this book.The quilting instructions and supply lists are so clear and concise that I truly believe I could actually make one of these quilts. Because really...at this point in my life...I seriously need something new to start. I really do. Especially after telling myself (and ALL of YOU) that I wasn't going to try anything new. And that I was going to focus on what I can do already and learn to do those things well. And of course, I'm also getting ready to start COLLEGE and really need to have some sort of large creative project going as a distraction. Or at least to start and not finish. Because what fun is life if it's not totally crazy and full of half-started projects? Right? However, in my defense, I do know how to sew. And so what if it's just straight lines? Because when it comes to the two main quilts I would like to try, straight lines are all I'm required to know. So, technically, I will be doing something I already know how to do AND improving on it. Right? Right? So really...I'm doing exactly what I said I was going to do. Come on...go with me here. Work with me, people.

Anyway...I haven't looked at any of the other books, yet. I've been too busy obsessing over easy quilt patterns and gorgeous fabrics. The book at the top, Grace (Eventually) by Anne Lamott is actually my book. I just put it at the top of the stack because I started reading it the other night. Anne Lamott is one of my favorite author's. I read Traveling Mercies years ago and it is one of my favorite books, ever. So when I saw a few other titles by Lamott at the used book store I snatched them up to read at a later date. And here we are, at "a later date".

Did you notice the two books on bees? I was giggling to myself on my way out of the library as I tried to balance my giant pile of library goodness, realizing that before I actually got The Girls, I would do the same thing with books about keeping chickens. Uh oh. I'm just sayin'....

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

loved Grace, Eventually as much as Traveling Mercies. I only like her non-fiction though.

watch out girl, i DO sense something a brewing in the bee department...buzz....buzz......

Lelainia N. Lloyd said...

DO you read "Made from Scratch"'s Jenna's blog? It's called Cold Antler Farm. She also has an Etsy.

:)

You Can Call Me Jane said...

I affirm your quilting interests! Just start small. Perhaps, start with one of the design squares that you like and just make one square/block- as if it's the entire quilt. It will take you through many of the steps (start to finish) and you can decide if you're up for something larger. Quilting is so rewarding, both in process and result.

Please get bees. Then you can tell us what to do:-).

Unknown said...

I spotted that Honeybee book right off the bat! I think I checked out every book in the CA system, but that one! How'd I miss it? Tell me if it's good.

Nancy said...

The bee books were the first thing I noticed and thought, "I bet that's a goal for 2010." Buzz, buzz, buzz.

Anonymous said...

bees - really?

thanks for the book recommendations!

sarah said...

What a great list Michelle.. and love the bee books in there :) Looks like you may have a bee in your bonnett (har har) I had to!

Camilla is reading Made from Scratch and really likes it. I may have to check it out. Have you read her blog?

Wren said...

Great stack!!! Reading Jenna's book now...
Bring on the bees baby.. you can do it!!

A Friend Across the Miles said...

How did I miss this post? Good grief.

Just putting "material obsession" on the hold list at our library. Oh, I'm so excited to check it out!

Lise said...

Oh, what a great stack of books! Bees is the next thing I'm thinking about, too.

Came over to check out your blog from Flickr's Handmade Headers, by the way.