Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Daniel Fast.


I'm getting ready to start The Daniel Fast tomorrow. We are doing it for New Beginnings, "corporately", as a ministry.
What exactly IS the Daniel Fast, you ask? This is a good description. As a matter of fact, I've been reading his book...it's pretty good. Very informative. I think it will be good reference over the next couple of weeks.
I have to admit, I'm a bit nervous. I haven't fasted before. And the more I think about it, the more I realize that I really don't deprive myself of...well, of anything! If I want something, I eat it. Or drink it. Period. So, when I look at it that way, depriving myself sounds like a good idea. I am pretty spoiled...

On the Daniel Fast I can only eat vegetables, whole grains, legumes, fruit and water. That's it. No meat. (We're having Asian pork chops tonight!) No dairy. (I had cottage cheese with lunch and milk with every meal. For some reason I think the dairy is going to be the hardest for me. I love dairy.) No soda. (I'm sipping a diet Coke right now.) No coffee. (THIS is going to be HARD.)
So...over the next 10-21 days I will be fasting and praying. My prayer is that God will show me what He wants me to share in Belgium. I also have a few creative ideas I believe He wants to use for Belgium, so I hope to get more clarity on that. But, of course, God's plans aren't always our plans. So I am open to whatever He wants to tell me...this is about Him. Not me.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, michelle, I am proud of you. Do blog about the experience okay. did you stock up on lots of fruits and veggies?

You Can Call Me Jane said...

Michelle, Jamey (my husband) completed a three week Daniel Fast this past month. Several other pharmacy students (who hold a weekly Bible study at his school) and he did it together. He had a really good experience with it and felt a little disappointed when it was over. He appreciated how it changed his routine so much that it made space for new/other disciplines.

He ate vegetables, fruits, nuts, vegetable oil, beans and spices. Some things he enjoyed a lot were refried beans, home-popped pop corn and fruit smoothies (apple, blueberries, bananas and ice).

Blessings to you on your journey!

Magnolia Handspun said...

I am loving the photography here...so earthy you really captured some beautiful detail in the allium family.
Good luck with the fasting Michelle!

Unknown said...

You've been busy! And now your fast! I pray God gives you strength you didn't know you had so that you will know that you can do whatever He calls you to do in Belgium!

As always, the photos are GREAT!

Tia said...

My prayers are with you for your first fast. I fasted at the first of the year. My church started a couple of weeks after that. I fasted for the first time when I was pregnant with my first son, 14 years ago. Then, not again until a few years ago, which I now do as God leads me.

It's different at first, but it gets better each time. I try to pray and study every time I feel a lack for something or desire for something.

Hullabaloo Homestead said...

Sometimes I find that when we are "broken" down past our weaknesses, is when that little voice in our hearts is the loudest. I'll be thinking about you, but I have no doubt that you can do this.

:)Lisa

kristenfeola said...

Hi! I just came across your blog and wanted to let you know about my blog, Those Who Hunger, which provides recipes and devotionals for people doing the Daniel Fast. Perhaps it can help and encourage you as you seek the Lord. May He guide you and direct your paths in ministry.

www.thosewhohunger.blogspot.com