Monday, June 15, 2009

There's a new sheriff in town...


Diatomaceous Earth. This stuff is my new best friend.
As you know I've been battling earwigs. And not just a few little earwigs here and there. I'm talking ear-wigs. Hundreds. Thousands. Eating everything in sight. Tender beans shoots...sweet new squash and cucumber leaves...even spicy pepper leaves. If I planted it, they ate it. And mocked me every chance they got.
As you also know, I have chickens. Real live chickens in my yard that get the opportunity to "free range" now and then. So I had to find something that would kill earwigs but not chickens. And I think I found it. Diatomaceous Earth. Now, it hasn't obliterated the earwigs like something toxic would. And trust me, it's tempting to just run out and buy something majorly poisonous so I can be done with bugs once and for all. But I refrained and decided to try this powerful white powder first. And let me tell you...it has truly helped. It's not a cure. But it IS a help. There are fewer earwigs in the usual hiding spots and less damage to my sweet little plants. I'm sold.

4 comments:

Nancy said...

Looks like this sheriff is packin' heat! Look out bugs....

Anonymous said...

I'm seeing some insects damage on a few of my plants. where did you find that stuff?

Wren said...

Works good on slugs too..just in case..!

Unknown said...

Aren't chickens supposed to eat bugs? Just let them loose where the bugs are!