Friday, June 12, 2009

Friday...miscellaneous ramblings.

It's the first day of summer vacation. Ian is watching cartoons and Seth went for a run. He's so 13. I love it... most days.
{The lone pole bean that survived the rain and bugs. I doubt I'll get much food from it...but I let it go because I love how it looks. It gives me hope for the rest of the garden.}
Today is a full day. Chris needs us to help clean up the office. So we're going to go and do that. Tonight we've got Closing Ceremonies for baseball and then the Memorial game for the 12 year-olds...in honor of a young boy who died in a car accident a few years back. Chris actually took over the team that he was supposed to be on. Awful. Actually, the gal that called me for the job at the book store is his mom. And we get along fabulously. She's amazing. And her testimony is one we could all learn from. Talk about faith and perseverance. Wow.
Ian and I were bored last night (really HE was bored...I was fine with quiet and nothing to do..but...) so we headed to the library. We found out that they have free movies on Wednesday afternoons at 3pm. Nice! And the first one they're playing is Paul Blart: Mall Cop. Oh.my.gosh. We saw this movie in the theater and I laughed so hard at certain scenes that I missed the beginning of the next scene because I was still laughing at the last scene. For those of you just getting to know me, don't hold this against me: I love stupid humor. Love it. Dumb and Dumber. Napoleon Dynamite. Yes. It's true. I'm one of those that laughs...a lot. And easily. I'm the one who stands in the greeting card aisle reading cards and laughing all by myself. But I'm not ashamed.
Anyway, yes, free movies at the library. Another good thing to know for a long, hot summer. Actually, summer is only like 9 weeks long...and it will be over before I know it. But I think I've got a good balance of "things to do to stay busy" vs. "down time to just run around and be a kid". That's what summer is for, right? Being a kid?
I have good memories of summers when I was little. One of them in particular is sitting at the end of the cul-de-sac with my friend Jeff Weber. Jeff is the same "friend" who slugged me in the stomach, knocking the wind right out of me, and his step-dad stormed out of the house and beat his behind all the way back into the house, all the while shouting over his shoulder that "Jeff won't be able to play today". He's also the one who cracked me in the eye socket with his lunch box on the way home from the bus stop. I STILL have a dent.
But this one night we were actually getting along. We were sitting at the end of the cul-de-sac and it was close to 11pm. Our moms were talking so we got a license to stay out extra late. We sat there for what seemed like hours making fart sounds by blowing in the crook of our elbows and putting our hands in our armpits and flapping like chickens. We did it for a long time...and sitting at the end of that court made the sounds echo just a little bit louder...which made it all the more funny.
Ahh...to be a kid again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh, i agree so much with you. summer is meant to be bored and do silly kid stuff.

love your ramblings too.

have fun tonight. And, thanks for the comment today on my blog : )

Nancy said...

so right. summer is for being a kid. ok, honestly, i'm one of those moms that think there needs to be a balance -- play time and productive time. i know, i know.

like you, i have many great memories of summer. i spent hours by our creek catching crawdads, wading in the water, skipping rocks. also hours and hours at the pool. my poor skin. those were the days before sunscreen. in the evenings, if i was lucky and got to be in town (i was a country girl), i remember playing kick the can. so much fun. catching fire flies too was a great way to spend an evening.

like denise said, love the ramblings. i personally think that's how we get to know someone. :)

Anonymous said...

staying up late to catch fireflies in a jar. my favorite childhood summer memory.

i stopped today and thought about all we wanted to do this summer and thought, how could we possibly do it all in nine weeks and then thought, well if we do, we do, if we don't, we don't.

i think the girls are looking forward to some unstructured outside time more than anything.

and we are literally living at the library this summer, they have so many amazing free programs for the kids. music, dramatics, science. you name it.

i hope you all enjoy every single minute of it before it flashes away!