Tuesday, November 17, 2009

What IS a persimmon, anyway?

I've been talking about persimmons lately...and several of you have commented and asked, "What IS a persimmon? What does it taste like?" So...I decided to do a "persimmon tutorial". (Am I the only one that thinks this is funny? I'm so weird.)

So, this is a persimmon. A fuyu persimmon to be exact. Isn't it beautiful? The color is amazing.

They grow on trees, like an apple. Ripen in the fall. And have the texture, in my opinion, of a firm cantaloupe. But maybe with a little extra slipperiness and then a bit of a crunch in the middle. Hard to explain. They're different...that's for sure.

The first thing you do is choose a ripe persimmon. It will be firm to the touch with a bit of give in the flesh. First step is to core the persimmon.


Then set the core aside for the chickens or the compost pile.

Then cut each half into four pieces.


Next, run your paring knife along the skin to remove it from the flesh. Set the skins aside for the chickens or the compost, too.
This is good stuff, you don't want it to go to waste!

Once all of your slices are peeled cut the persimmon into bite size chunks and place them in a bowl.
Drizzle them with honey.
Then finish off with a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
And then? Eat, of course!

I have to admit, I had never eaten a persimmon until a few years ago. I was helping my Noni at the time a couple of days a week. I'd go over in the morning, usually right around the time Papa was making her breakfast. She had a persimmon tree in her backyard and would eat them fresh, with a squeeze of lime, with her breakfast right around this time of year. She couldn't believe I'd never had one! She insisted that I slice one up, add a little lime (the honey is my own addition) and give it a try. So I did. And I couldn't believe how tasty it was! I was sold instantly.

Mom just brought over a bag full of persimmons from Noni's tree yesterday. Noni would be glad that they're going to be enjoyed. I wish she were here to share one with me. Isn't it funny the things that make us think of loved ones?

Persimmons are different...but that's one of the things I like about them. Not to mention, they are full of healthy goodness. Persimmons contain twice as much fiber as apples and help to keep your heart healthy. Persimmons also contain antioxidants and are good source of sodium, potassium, magnesium, manganese and iron. (There's that iron thing again. Which has been much better since I've been eating oatmeal every morning. Who knew?)

Anyway, if you have a chance to try a persimmon, I would recommend it. They can be made into bread and added to salads, too, so I read. But I like them fresh...and lime-y. And the bonus? They're good and good for you.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

How funny. I've got about 12 persimmons sitting on my counter and wasn't sure what to do with them. I'm off to give it a try...

Do you ever get a whiff of a certain scent and think of loved ones who have passed on? Those pink Dove soap bars remind me of my grandmother. Gets me every time.

Unknown said...

I bought 4 persimmons last week! I don't even particularly like the damn things but they reminded me of noni. And I've eaten them all, with lemon juice - which in a pinch works quite nicely.

Anonymous said...

as you know, I just had my first persimmon last week. I think I will just eat them that way next time. thanks!

Wren said...

THANK YOU!! I had no idea what they looked like inside and it isn't what I expected. Now if I ever come across a persimmon, I am going to buy it and give it a try! : ))

Nancy said...

Ok, I'm adding persimmons to my next grocery list. I've never had one but you've convinced me to try it. Love that it is something that makes you remember your grandma fondly. For me, that would be ham and potatoes with fresh radishes - a Sunday staple at Grandma's house.

Magnolia Handspun said...

They look so good almost like the consistency of a mango?
They look so colorful and juicy.
Yum.
If I can find them I am curious to try....
-"Give a girl a persimmon"

Conny said...

A persimmon tutorial is not weird; I'm glad you shared, especially with pictures to help me cut it up properly. My neighbor has a tree loaded with them, but no one seems to eat them but the squirrels, who fight loudly over them. Maybe those squirrels are on to something.

It's time for me to knock on the neighbor's door and ask for some. Thanks again.