Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Wednesday in the Word: Isaiah 61

Isaiah 61
The Year of the LORD's Favor
1 The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me,
because the LORD has anointed me
to preach good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives
and release from darkness for the prisoners,
2 to proclaim the year of the LORD's favor
and the day of vengeance of our God,
to comfort all who mourn,
3 and provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
instead of ashes,
the oil of gladness
instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
a planting of the LORD
for the display of his splendor.
4 They will rebuild the ancient ruins
and restore the places long devastated;
they will renew the ruined cities
that have been devastated for generations.
5 Aliens will shepherd your flocks;
foreigners will work your fields and vineyards.
6 And you will be called priests of the LORD,
you will be named ministers of our God.
You will feed on the wealth of nations,
and in their riches you will boast.
7 Instead of their shame
my people will receive a double portion,
and instead of disgrace
they will rejoice in their inheritance;
and so they will inherit a double portion in their land,
and everlasting joy will be theirs.
8 "For I, the LORD, love justice;
I hate robbery and iniquity.
In my faithfulness I will reward them
and make an everlasting covenant with them.
9 Their descendants will be known among the nations
and their offspring among the peoples.
All who see them will acknowledge
that they are a people the LORD has blessed."
10 I delight greatly in the LORD;
my soul rejoices in my God.
For he has clothed me with garments of salvation
and arrayed me in a robe of righteousness,
as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest,
and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.
11 For as the soil makes the sprout come up
and a garden causes seeds to grow,
so the Sovereign LORD will make righteousness and praise
spring up before all nations.
I usually only share a snippet of a chapter in the bible...a verse...a bit of Truth that has inspired me. But today I wanted to share the entire chapter 61 of the book of Isaiah. Isaiah 61 gives me hope. The book of Isaiah is one of my favorites. There are so many scriptures within Isaiah that are my "favorite". I have dates written beside scriptures...highlights throughout...sticky notes here and there. Yes. I write in my bible. A lot. Some people don't think that's OK. I think I couldn't do it any other way. There is nothing like reading through my bible and coming across a bit of scripture with a notation next to it: 12/02/05, given this scripture when praying for __________" - you fill in the blank. Jobs, finances, family members, depression, anxiety...the list goes on.
The BEST part of writing in my bible is looking back...seeing a notation...reading what I was praying for...and then realizing that God answered that prayer. And had I not written it down...either in my bible or in my journal...I might have forgotten that I prayed that prayer...and I definitely wouldn't have realized that God answered me. And if He answered me, then He MUST have heard me. He hears me. And He hears YOU.
I pray that God bless you today. That He watch over you and guide your steps. That He speak to you in ways you never knew possible. Amen.

7 comments:

Sheryl said...

My favorite chapter in all of the Bible!!! Beauty from ashes is tattooed on my foot. It's funny though, as I was reading I realized I was just skimming over it because I have much of it memorized. I decided (or God did) to stop and really read the words. Thank you for posting this today. I needed it.

God does hear me, He is in the business of binding up broken hearts and rewarding the faithful.

Love to you.

Anonymous said...

I get so excited wondering what you will share each Wednesday. Just wanted to let you know that : )

Nancy said...

I write in my Bible too. It's a reference book in my mind and that means it's ok to take notes in....for future reference.

WhiteStone said...

Oh, I write in mine, too. It naturally flips open to favorite pages. Thank you for posting this chapter.

Dave said...

Love Isaiah 61, love writing in my bible, love seeing old prayers and hopes and seeing answers. Reading Wednesday in the Words I feel kindred spirit of sisterhood. Nice. Love all your posts, but Wednesday in the Word is always my favorite. Linda

Wren said...

Amazing how God answers our prayers.
I've been praying hard. For answers. A path.
They've been answered.. Changes on the horizon and I am so thankful I can't sleep.

Live a simple life...
I am hanging on to that one TIGHT..
hugs...

Elyse said...

i love bibles that are written in and well loved!! thank you for this.