Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Wednesday in the Word.

(persimmons)
Psalm 56
1 Be merciful to me, O God, for men hotly pursue me;
all day long they press their attack.
2 My slanderers pursue me all day long;
many are attacking me in their pride.
3 When I am afraid,
I will trust in you.
4 In God, whose word I praise,
in God I trust; I will not be afraid.
What can mortal man do to me?
5 All day long they twist my words;
they are always plotting to harm me.
6 They conspire, they lurk,
they watch my steps,
eager to take my life.
7 On no account let them escape;
in your anger, O God, bring down the nations.
8 Record my lament;
list my tears on your scroll—
are they not in your record?
9 Then my enemies will turn back
when I call for help.
By this I will know that God is for me.
10 In God, whose word I praise,
in the LORD, whose word I praise-
11 in God I trust; I will not be afraid.
What can man do to me?
12 I am under vows to you, O God;
I will present my thank offerings to you.
13 For you have delivered me from death
and my feet from stumbling,
that I may walk before God
in the light of life.
Each Wednesday, before I get online, before I come here to share a little something with those of you who are gracious enough to stop by, I have my own quiet time. I get my coffee...my bible...my prayer journal...and I sit in the quiet...talking and listening to God. Sometimes I sit for an hour. Sometimes I sit for 5 minutes. For me, the longer the better. I need all of the GOD I can get. But the time isn't necessarily the important part. The important part is that I begin my day with God.
This morning was a 5-minute morning. I woke up late. But God has no time limits...thank goodness.
I am continuing to focus on trusting God. And I am realizing that this is going to be an ongoing thing...a daily thing..and even a moment by moment thing. Circumstances arise. And I react. I admit sadly, turning to God is not always my first reaction. My first reaction, on many occasions, is "freak out" or "get angry" or "shrivel". I'm learning to turn to God sooner and sooner as time goes by. But...some situations just seem to take over. And I lose it.
But then I read something like Psalm 56. And I get to the bottom...and I read verse 13...
For you have delivered me from death
and my feet from stumbling,
that I may walk before God
in the light of life.
"Delivered". Past tense. As in it's already been DONE. God has already delivered me from death...from tangles and snares. He's kept my feet steady as I walk along on my journey. He has already gone before me and cleared the path He's set for me. My job is to follow that path...and not to veer off on my own path. This is not to say that the path will be perfectly flat or obstacle free. It's to say that while I'm walking along that path that God has prepared for me, my feet will not stumble as I go along. It means that as I travel that path, my feet will be steady as I walk...as I climb...as I maneuver over obstacles and rocky areas. He has gone before me and made the way possible...and is there to take my hand when I need help along the way. God is so GOOD.
And just when I think I've got what I came for, God throws a little extra at me. A cherry on top. That very last line that says...that I may walk before God in the light of life. It takes my breath away. To know that I am walking with God and that He is lighting my way! Each step that I take...He keeps me from stumbling and He shines light on my path. Even though things may be dark all around me...where He is, there is light. And if He is with me, always, which His word says that He is, then there is always a light to guide me. My part in the deal is to stay near Him...
God, help me to focus on the light and not the darkness. Help me to stay on the path You so lovingly carved out for me. Amen.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

love your picture. love your words. so true. p.s. - we have the same morning routine : )

Conny said...

It may seem that I only comment on your blog on Wednesdays, but somehow it just turns out that way. Funny.

I really love today's Wednesday in the Word. It's a great post.

Backtracking to yesterday's post, the CSA produce looks wonderful. I've asked my mom, who lives in Lincoln, to bring an extra bag of Mandarins when she comes down. I'd like to can them this time to help spread out the yumminess. Have you tried canning citrus before?

Jennifer Jo said...

That's a gorgeous picture of tomatoes.

Anonymous said...

just before i read this i heard the words "Father up above, why in all this hatred do you fill me up with love, love, love".....funny coincidence.

very fitting. trust, trust, trust.

and when you started the post with...."Be merciful to me, O God, for men hotly pursue me..." i thought we were going to have a very different post indeed ;-)

sorry, single mother thinking again.........

Unknown said...

Love the Psalms. When I was young, I couldn't figure out why people liked them so much. Now that I am older, and have seen more of the world... I get it. I need the Psalms.

Michelle said...

I'm glad you get so much out of your prayer time. A spiritual practice makes life more complete.

Wren said...

I am afraid. I haven't been trusting. My bible is on the kitchen table. Thank you for this.. as always. A light when I need it.

Laura at By the Bushel said...

Thanks for this - you said it, starting the day with God...
Beautiful.

Sheryl said...

love wednesday in the word. LOVE IT! you know how much i need these verses as well. oh to trust that i am already walking in the light.

i need to spend more time with the Lord - there i said it.