Monday, November 9, 2009

Slow and steady.

This is going to be a LONG week.
I'm sitting here thinking about this coming week, and all that I have to do, and I am finding myself getting overwhelmed and anxious.
Business responsibilities, work responsibilities, kids off of school mid-week..and on the day I have to work a 6 hour shift. Not to mention the other two days I have to work. The kids have practices and lessons and youth groups. Chris is out of town today and tomorrow on a cabinet install. I've made creative commitments that I need to finish up...and some I need to start. There are family commitments...friend commitments. Not to mention...pets to feed, laundry to do, bills to pay, dog hair to vacuum up constantly...it seems I can't keep up. No matter how much I do and how much I run around, it never seems to end. And I just want to go crawl into my bed and pull the covers over my head.
BUT. Then I remember something. I remember a scripture that pops into my head every time I get this way: Matthew 6:34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
Each day has enough trouble of its own. That's right. I only need to think about today. This day. Because really, tomorrow is no guarantee. So worrying about tomorrow will get me nowhere. Except in my bed with the covers pulled over my head!!
Yes. I've got a LOT to do this week. That's a fact. But it's also a fact that I can only do one thing at a time. I can only take one step at a time. One breath at a time. And as I keep telling my husband..."slow and steady wins the race". Maybe I need to remind my SELF about that one. And I also need to remind my SELF that I've had weeks like this before. Really, every week is like this in one way or another! And I get through. I make it to the end. I check things off of my lists...things get done...and I am still in one piece.
So...pick one thing. Do it. Check it off the list. Move on to item number 2. Do it. Check it. Move on. And so on and so on and so on...until the end of the week arrives and I look back and realize...it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

So true! I have taken to reminding myself lately that:

I can do everything today that GOD wants me to do!

(not the stuff that I think needs to be done or the things that I want to do).

Elyse said...

What a great reminder! Thank you! I am going to post that scripture on my wall to calm me when I am feeling frazzled as well!

Anonymous said...

and you know that slow and steady wins the race too! You can do it - one day even hour at a time.

WhiteStone said...

That is so right. My downfall is that I keep losing the list.

Anonymous said...

that's right. sometimes all you can think about is right now, i'm doing the dishes; otherwise, your head might EXPLODE.

all kidding aside, breathe, friend. you'll make it.

Wren said...

You can say that again... What a fantastic verse. AGAIN.. just what I needed today. Really.
Best to you this week. Thinking of you!!

Kelly said...

Good pep talk, it was SO what I needed today! Best of luck taking this week one day at a time girl!

Nancy said...

Yes. You can make it and you will make it. Good reminder for me too. Take care of today. Just today.