Tuesday, March 2, 2010

l.o.v.e.

When the boys were little we would say "I love you" in sign language. You know which one I mean? The one sort of like a Hang Loose sign but with your pointer finger up, too? We did this at school drop offs...babysitting drop offs...just because.
When Ian was three I went back to work part-time. It was really, really hard...but it was also necessary. We were incredibly blessed to find out that an old friend of mine had opened a daycare and had one spot available. Ian fit right in. Even though it was a great fit and he had a great time while I was at work it was still hard for us to say goodbye to each other in the morning. So to make it easier (on both of us) right after I'd drop him off, he'd go to the front window and wave to me all the way down the driveway. Sometimes I'd do silly waves...or really BIG waves...or sometimes I'd skip...the neighbors must have thought I was crazy. But that was OK...it made the separation much easier. And it was worth it to his toothy grin instead of a sad face.
When I finally got to the car I'd get in...fasten my seat belt...then look to the window where we would both flash each other the sign language "I love you" sign. Once that was done he'd go off with the other kids...ready to start his day. And I'd drive off to work...content knowing that he was in good hands and was going to have lots of fun until I got back.

13 comments:

Hullabaloo Homestead said...

How sweet.

:)Lisa

Megan said...

Averie does that now too. My dad taught her. I l.o.v.e. that she does it... we have sweet kids in our family, don't we!!

Anonymous said...

do you still give the signal today? when I went back to work, it was awful. I left crying not skipping more often than not. Which reminds me, I am so blessed to be primarily home now. And, you too. your new work hours are perfect. God is so good.

Nancy said...

Sweet story. Like dmoms, I want to know if you still do that today. I love the sweet little inside stories/jokes that families have. We have them and still practice them. Love that.

Unknown said...

Oh, what sweet memories!! Aren't you glad you blog so it is down on something! He can read this again and again! Someday all us girls that are blogging should print up our entries and make a book of the things like this!

Conny said...

I'm smiling...because we did (and still do) that too. He's 6, so I don't know how much longer that will last - less embarassing (for him) than kissing his mommy goodbye in front of his friends.

Anonymous said...

this is very sweet. i love the little cubbies with the nick nacs too and the sign language card. when i was dating my hubby he would give me that sign when we would see each other from across a room or something and it always gave my heart a flutter.

pinkpeppercorns said...

Awwwww. What a sweet story.

Wren said...

l.o.v.e

Elyse said...

i can sooo relate to this! so hard to leave our babies, huh? arabella always says "wait wait waiiiittt!!! kiss! hug!! x 50. and i am all too happy to give her every last one till shes had enough and is ready to let me go.

deb said...

This is so sweet and I love the fact that you skipped!!

I skip sometimes just to make sure I never forget. When I used to work in an office, I'd ask my co-workers to skip down the hall. Some did and some just looked at me like I was crazy and then that look that came over their face... that look of "I wonder if I really do remember how to skip."


I love your shelf here and *everything* on it!

deb said...

This is so sweet and I love the fact that you skipped!!

I skip sometimes just to make sure I never forget. When I used to work in an office, I'd ask my co-workers to skip down the hall. Some did and some just looked at me like I was crazy and then that look that came over their face... that look of "I wonder if I really do remember how to skip."


I love your shelf here and *everything* on it!

deb said...

Sorry for the double-up!!