Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Look what else we did!

This is a cold frame. It has no lid. Yet.
I have had this cold frame for...um...a lot of years. Like, 13. Chris built it for me when we first moved into our house. We put it in the backyard all those years ago...and there it sat. I think we've moved it around a few times. But it's never been used.
Well, this past Sunday as we were leveling out the garden area and planting the tomatoes and the peppers I said, "Hey Honey! Can we move that cold frame into the garden?" And he said, "Sure!"
So together we moved it from one corner of the yard where it was not being utilized to the side of the house where the garden is. That one action made me SO happy. Kind of silly how happy it made me, actually. I don't know...I think it just made me feel "official". I felt like a somewhat organized gardener. I'm not sure it's in the best location. But it's a lot closer than it was!
Now, granted, it still needs that lid. But I'm not worried. Chris has a plan for a new lid...so by next winter we should be able to actually put my cold frame to use!

15 comments:

Lelainia N. Lloyd said...

If it's still coolish out, you could use it over your peppers. You cover it with some painter's plastic on a roll. Just drape it over and use a board on either side (on the ground) to hold the plastic down. That way you can remove it to water. If you don't cut it, you can just roll up the plastic when you're done and recycle it.

Kelly said...

Some of the heavy plastic available at all the big box hardware stores weighted down over the top would do the trick for now along with some bricks or water jugs inside to hold heat. Go ahead Michele, use that thing NOW! ;)

Nancy said...

How exciting! Organized gardner...like the sound of that.

Magnolia Handspun said...

Brilliant, I can't wait to see what you do with it Michelle.

ain't for city gals said...

This might give you a little more encouragement...I was at Costco the other day and they had a kit that looked similiar to yours ..the lid looked like an old window to me...BUT the price was $299. !!! I thought..gosh you could make that and looks like you just did..

Hullabaloo Homestead said...

Yay! We have a insulated sliding glass door sitting under our deck that my husband scored from someone's dumpster, but no cold frame. We've had plans to build one. Hopefully we'll get to it soon. Funny how we have the opposite ends of the same project.

:)Lisa

Conny said...

Hee, hee. You have the coldframe; I have an old window waiting for a coldframe. Too funny.

Now that it's been moved somewhat to where you want it, you might plant something there this summer. :>) It's nice when one small action can mean so much.

Em said...

That is so very awesome

Anonymous said...

slow down - you are getting to far ahead of me : )

Thomas said...

Nice! I'm sure the cold frame will be much happier in it's new location. It's always a joy to breath new life into something.

sarah said...

Peppers and tomatoes, you are so lucky and soo ahead of Montana time. I love that photo.. the wood, the tool, the simplicity. Reading about this stuff makes me giddy.

Erin Wallace said...

A cold frame and an amazingly loved hoe! Yay - it's spring!

vintage girl at heart said...

The little things mean so much....
I look forward to seeing all of the "fruits" of your garden and others in blogland.
I won one of your sweet sets of notecards from Thy Hand Hath Provided and am thrilled!!
You make everyday items appear so special.
Thanks so much for this wonderful giveaway!

vintage girl at heart said...

P.S. I had no idea what a cold frame was until I read your post and then googled cold frame.
I love to learn new things especially about nature and gardening...thanks!

Wren said...

Yee-haw!! I am chomping at the bit to get our frames started. 40 inches of snow has me a bit bee-hind!! Plus... hive loses... been ripping apart hives. Your frame looks lovely!! I can't wait to get one started!! Thanks for the inspiration my friend!!