Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Back to school.

As many of you know, I have recently returned to college to complete my degree. FINALLY. Going to college is a lot different now than it was when I started. (Which was just a few years ago...right? What? It WAS just a few years ago! At least it feels like it was...!)
OK, fine. It was many years ago. But...that's not the point here. The point here is that I finally learned how to go into the college web site! I deciphered all of my PINS and all of my passwords. I learned how to get my school email, how to attend a class online, AND how to check my grades. And guess what? I got an A in my first class!!! Oh my gosh...talk about excited! I was SO excited. But it was funny...I was at the college office, surrounded by very somber people, and I'm trying to hoot and holler over my A and nobody is humoring me. At all. Not even a little. I guess people get A's all the time or something. And good for them! I'm not one of them, however. So this was BIG for me! It made my day. And night. I was still pumped at 11 o'clock last night. Come to think of it, I'm still pumped this morning!
Getting an A really boosted my confidence in this whole "back to school" thing I got going. I question myself daily about this decision. And I sometimes doubt that I'll be able to do it. I wonder what the heck I'm thinking trying to go to college AND work AND raise kids AND pay attention to my hubby AND everything else.
But you know...so far it's been really good. And my family is so supportive and has really stepped up to the plate with helping me around here. If I have to study or write a paper they take care of things. They really clear the way for me to do what I need to do. What a blessing...I'm one lucky girl.
Once I got over my doubt...and realized that I really am going to be able to DO this...I confidently signed up for my first online class. I am still struggling with my major. So I took a class that applies to either one. I will have to make a decision this next week, though....Social Science or Liberal Studies. Liberal Studies is the best decision. Social Science is the most interesting decision. But...as we know...time is of the essence. So...it's looking like I'm about to be a Liberal Studies major. Which is fine. It's good. It's all just a means to an end. And if I can do it in three fewer classes as a Lib Studies major, why is there even a question? I'll tell you why there's a question. Because once I get something in my mind it takes a while for me to readjust my thinking when things change. Because I'm stubborn. And rigid at times. That's why. But I'm working on that...really. I am.
Another change was that originally I planned on taking two classes each 8-week session. But this time around I'm only taking one, again. Eventually, I will need to take two classes per session if I want a degree before I'm a hundred years old. But for now...at this season of life I feel like I need one more session to get my feet wet. Especially since I'm trying my hand at an online class. I've never taken an online class before and I had no idea what to expect. So I decided to take just one class again. If the online class goes well I will probably arrange it so I can take one class online and one class on campus each session until I'm done. That way I won't have to be gone so much. It sounds good on paper...I'm hoping it works out like I imagine it will.
So what class are you taking, Michelle? Why, thank you for asking! I'm going to take Liberal Studies 300...a required course by Chapman. To tell you the truth...I don't even know what Liberal Studies IS. But I'm about to find out! See that stack of books in the picture? The top three books are for my class. And you know the great thing about those three books? I didn't have to pay for them! The financial aide guy at the college, Mario, had them and let me borrow them! He told me it was on my "honor". I replied, "I'm honorable!" So I better not lose them...I'd be so embarrassed!
And for someone who was never really a big reader (I went in spurts when I was younger...but hated to read books that were assigned. Such a rebel, aren't I? A brat is more like it!) I sure have a big stack of books on my night stand! I have to say, in the past 3 years or so I've come to really love reading and learning new things. I will admit, though, I'm still feeling a little rebellious about reading something someone tells me to read. Because I can be a bit of a brat on occasion (no comments from the peanut gallery!) I only want to read what I WANT to read. But I am almost 43 for crying out loud. I think it's time to stop acting 14. You think? I'll have to discipline myself to read school books first, library books second. I'll have to treat my self like I treat my kids. Because apparently rebellion isn't something one outgrows so easily.

9 comments:

Erin Wallace said...

Yay, Michelle! I knew you could do it - don't really even know you except through your blog and I had all faith in you! Congratulations on your big, bad A!

Nancy said...

So proud of you for doing such a wonderful job!

I've read Gift of the Sea; love it. Hope you do too.

You Can Call Me Jane said...

I'll hoot and holler with you! Yippeeee! Whoohoooo! Yeeehaw!! Way to go, Michelle:-).

ain't for city gals said...

WOO HOO...good for you and your A ...certainly a big deal for me..happy for you! I'm thinking one on line class and one real tiime class might be the ticket for next year...

Unknown said...

Whoo-hoo! An A!!!! Congratulations! I knew you could do it!

I may not be back in college, but I'm getting to experience it all with my 17 year old. I had to fill out a FASFA this weekend - oh my goodness! I had to have the CPA help me! And then, there is all the other stuff for applications, scholarships, etc.

I did have her take an on-line course from the college she wants to attend because she was convinced she couldn't do it. Mom knew otherwise... and she did fine! The key is to stay AHEAD of the deadlines and not get behind even by a day.

By the way... it's just your creative side that causes you to read only what you want (or so I'd like to think because I have this syndrome, too!).

Mari said...

Way to go lady! Happy for your accomplishment...and it IS a BIG deal! :)
I applaud you for taking on schooling while in your season of life...I don't think I would have the energy to do it...but you are motivated and will see it through. Three cheers for you!

T said...

WOO HOO!!! Great job, girl! I knew you could do it. :-)

You crack me up on the rebellion. I see it in myself all the time yet get irritated when I see a rebellious spirit in the munchkin... hmmm, wonder where she gets it from, eh?

Oh, and Crazy Love? GREAT book! Francis Chan is pretty awesome... I have friends who go to his church in Simi Valley and I was able to visit one time. It's one of the few sermons I will never forget.

Leslie said...

Congratulations on both school and an A. I am always impressed with women who take on things like this. You have gumption and I hope you really enjoy the journey.

deb said...

Way to go!! That is really super fantastic! And just so you know... I would've done the Snoopy Dog Happy Dance for you!! :)

Happy Spring and Happy Easter!