Tuesday, March 9, 2010

I want to share a recipe with you...

A few years ago we had a Chili Cook Off at our church. My sweet friend and "adopted" sister, Sandra, won the contest! She made what she calls Crock Pot Chili...and it is GOOD. Definitely worth the win! It's really tasty...it's really easy...it's really warm...and it's really popular around here! And I want to share it with you! Ready? Here it is...
Crock Pot Chili
1 lb. beef stew meat (I use a half pound...because I'm frugal...and it's really plenty)
1 medium onion - chopped (or if necessary, dried onion works well, too)
2 T. chili powder
2 cloves garlic or equivalent of garlic powder
1 Bay leaf
1 t. salt
1 t. Worcestershire sauce
1 t. oregano
1/2 t. cumin
16 oz. can tomato sauce
15 oz. can kidney beans
15 oz. can pinto beans
a dash of cayenne if you're feeling lucky punk!
In a skillet,saute the onion and lightly brown the beef. (I season the meat at this point with a little extra of the seasonings...you know, that whole "depth of flavor" thing.) Add canned ingredients, seasonings and cooked meat and onion mixture to the Crock Pot and stir to combine. Cook on high 2-3 hours or low 4-5. The flavors blend better when cooked for the longer amount of time...but either way it's really yummy.
Serves 6. OR 4 if two of them are hungry teenage boys with a helping leftover for lunch. I make a big ol' pan of cornbread to go with it and it is a delicious combination! Enjoy!
I put a pot of this together before we left for Ian's baseball game last night. I made some cornbread and set it aside. By the time we got home several hours later the chili was ready...the house smelled great...and we ate a delicious, warm meal after a cold night at the ball field!

7 comments:

WhiteStone said...

We had a chili cook-off at our church this week. A dozen chili pots and a single large container of chicken noodle for the weaklings in the crowd. Oh, and a stack of peanut butter sandwiches for the little ones in the crowd. Much fun! I'll copy your recipe as I've been using my crockpot more lately.

Maureen Cracknell Handmade said...

Yum! That is very similar to my easy go-to chili recipe. It's a great thing to share, everyone needs one.

Wren said...

Sounds great! I love chili over..mashed potatoes!! YUM!!

Nancy said...

So glad you shared...thank you. I'm going to bookmark it so I can make it.

Beegirl ~ chili over mashed potatoes? How in the world did you come up with that? a family tradition? I've never heard of eating it that way.

Kelly said...

Mmm, I think I will be trying that recipe!

Thomas said...

I'll definitely have to try this recipe! I have a crockpot that was given to us over a year ago that's still unopened in a box....awful isn't it? This might me just the incentive I need.

Elyse said...

YUMMY that sounds DEEEEEELICIOUS!!!! I will need to try that this week! :)