Thursday, May 14, 2009

Cage Free, Baby.

We let the girls free-range occasionally. I prefer to do it when Chris is here to help me. I don't know...I just get nervous that one will fly over the fence...or someone will let the dog out accidentally...or one will go under the deck and I won't be able to get them out. Just fretful in general, I guess. (I need to work on that...)
But when Chris is home and we have a little while to let them peck and scratch and stretch and flutter...out they go.
They spent a lot of time over by the fence...scratching away to find treasure troves of beetles and bugs galore. To each his own, right?
The girls are checking out the garden area. Little do they know...chickens are {NOT} the smartest bird in the coop, let's face it...they could hop right through the gate.

We must have sat out there for about an hour...just watching them.
When I was researching chicken keeping people would say things like, "Better than TV!" or "Who needs cable?".

Now...I don't know that I'd take it that far. I am pretty attached to FOOD Network and Intervention. But they are definitely entertaining. Definitely.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

our chicks will eventually put themselves back in the coop. isn't that funny! i think they feel really safe in there.

Nancy said...

Talk about cheap thrills! Oh, I kid.