Monday, April 6, 2009

This mornings garden additions..OR...

...why I should change my name to Chatty Kathy.

I can't seem to stay out of the garden. Or stop talking about it! Late this morning I headed out back to water and ended up planting more stuff.

Carrots...lettuce...mint (in a pot!)...nasturtiums all over the place...marigolds here and there...Hollyhocks along the fence...and the surprise...Birdhouse Gourds! I'm so excited about these! I planted them at the base of the old swing set ladder that I saved just for a future garden. Last summer I had a Morning Glory growing on it...but it was just too hot where I had it planted and it didn't make it. So I decided to use the space for the chicken coop instead. And I moved the ladder to the new garden area.


You can see it behind the Summer Squash packet leaning up against the fence. I can't wait to see it covered in vines and Birdhouse Gourds!


This morning as I was puttering around in the garden I made a decision. I decided that this year's garden is going to be a learning experience. A place to experiment and learn. I always fantasize about having this huge garden with tons of vegetables to eat and share and preserve. But the truth is...I really don't know what I'm doing yet! Yes, I've grown a few things here and there over the past few years. But I haven't really gardened. I have a lot to learn. And I think this little garden...in all it's simplicity...will be the perfect place to get my feet wet and learn how to grow some real food. You've got to start somewhere. And for me, it's good to start small so I don't get overwhelmed.


Bearing this in mind...I decided to just go for it. I decided to plant seeds...intimidated by them, or not. The gourds and the lettuce and the Hollyhocks. The radishes and the carrots. I just dug up the dirt, added good soil and manure and compost...mixed it all up real good and planted some seeds. I've been too afraid to plant certain things over the years...because...um...I'm not real sure why? Maybe just afraid that they wouldn't grow? Basically that they'd fail. And if the seeds failed it meant that I was failing? This is a possibility. I tend toward the "all or nothing" way of thinking at times. And it prevents me from doing things I really want to do. But I'm trying to get away from that. I'm trying to be more brave...and to do more, afraid or not. Do it afraid. Right?

What's the worst that could happen? Yes, the seeds could fail. But that does not mean that I am a failure. It means that I went for it and learned something in a process....maybe I'll learn about the soil, or watering, or planting location. Or maybe it will be as simple as unhealthy seed. And I will chalk it up to a learning experience...knowledge...and a step in the right direction toward sustainability. Doesn't that sound so nice? I think so, too.

No comments: