Friday, April 20, 2012

what's going on?

the last rain...
I'm so glad the weekend is here...it's been a bit of a long week.

Today after work I headed to Seth's baseball game with Ian and my nephew in tow. Mom and Dad and my brother and his wife met up with us there. It was a pretty good game...we won 5-0. Afterwards as we're walking to the car my brother says, "Wanna grab something to eat?" So we all went and got a burger. It was a nice afternoon...

I'll be doing some more gardening this weekend. It'll be a good way to get my mind off the fact that it's almost 90 degrees outside. Bleh. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, if it weren't for fresh, homegrown, delicious tomatoes needing heat to ripen, I would be a sad, sad girl right about now. Every time I think about summer and its stifling heat I change my thoughts to fresh, homegrown, vine ripened tomatoes from my very own backyard and it helps ease the dread I have for summer. I shouldn't say I dread summer. I don't. I dread the heat that comes with summer. When I live somewhere with a milder summer I will look forward to it, I'm sure.

Tomorrow morning while it's still cool outside I'm going to plant lettuce, a few herbs and nasturtiums from seed. On Sunday morning, Chris and I are going to get three more pepper plants, another zucchini plant and a few more herbs. We're also going to get some lavender plants and some blueberry bushes for the planter boxes on either side of the deck. 

So far everything we've planted looks great. Some of the tomatoes even have flowers already. None of my beans or peas have popped their cute little selves out of the ground yet...but I imagine any day they will.

Until then we'll water regularly...and wait patiently. If nothing else, a garden will certainly teach us patience, won't it? You can't hurry a garden...


Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown





3 comments:

Denise said...

oh, I love that quote. Plus I love tomatoes. I wouldn't like 90 degrees. I can't believe it is going to be that warm. It is supposed to be nice here today - only 42 out at the moment though so I am still waiting a bit to plant. Have a good day Michelle!

Lisa Gallup said...

I can't wait to garden! We are still mid seventies here and going down to low forties at night. I hope to get everything done this upcoming week. I didn't get to do much gardening last summer so I'm REALLY looking forward to this summer. looking forward to seeing pictures of your bounty!

Jennifer said...

That quote is wonderful! I'd like to plant some veggies with my little guy this year. We're just getting to the point where it's safe to plant here and he's just getting to the point where he's very interested in how things grow.

Enjoy your Sunday gardening!