Wednesday, January 14, 2009

What I cooked last night...

Still haven't decided on a color combo...but I will...I will.
I am continuing to feed my family with what I have on hand. Last night it was Sweet and Sour Meatballs. My family really liked it. I thought it was pretty good...but I think it could have been better. Maybe it's the ground beef throwing me off...maybe it would be better with the usual chicken or pork. But it was edible...and tasty...and filling...and I used what I had. Ground beef. (this wasn't on the freezer inventory because it was in a different freezer!) Months back my husband traded one of our friends from church an expensive tool he no longer needed for a half of a side of beef. Our friend raised it himself on his acreage outside of town. This was a good trade....we've been stocked with beef for a long while...and we've still got quite a bit left. Ground beef, steaks, chuck roasts, stew meat...it's great. Our friend even threw in an upright freezer because we didn't have one!
I have to admit that I did go and buy a green pepper. I wasn't going to but the recipe just really sounded better WITH one. So I went and bought one...and I was glad I did. It really added to the asian flavor of the dish. And, I didn't say I wasn't going to buy anything...I'm just not going to buy more meat until I'm out of something. I will use up all of my stores before buying more. And I won't buy more pantry items (inventory still not done...ahem) until I'm out of something there. I will buy staples such as rice and flour and pastas and bread, etc...to add to what I've got to make good meals. I may have to buy bulk flour and sugar, though, since I am going to be making more muffins for the family. Last night we made blueberry muffins from my Williams-Sonoma Muffins cookbook. They are GOOD. The recipe made 20 muffins. I wrapped 10 for the freezer and left 10 out for snacking. My family is liking this whole muffin thing...I'm glad. I am going to begin adding flax and wheat germ to the mix for added health benefits...I haven't decided if I'm going to tell them or not! I probably will...they need to know they can have healthy food that tastes good, too. My sons call me a "health freak"...which I really am not. I drink soda...and we eat occasional fast food...I crave a Hostess cupcake now and then! But I am learning...and I am trying to eliminate bad foods as much as possible. And I tell my kids about bad foods...and ask them to read labels to me when they want to buy a certain snack at the store (it also has to be on sale! I'm tough to shop with!)...I try to make them aware of the unneeded additives. And by doing this, they think I'm a "health freak". And that's fine. My feelings aren't hurt. They can call me whatever they want...we'll see what they call me when they're grown and they begin to care about what's in their food...and in their children's food. It's my job to teach...and that's what I am trying to do.

No comments: