Saturday, April 16, 2011

My new favorite gardening book.


My new favorite garden book. Love it!
 I have a new favorite garden book...The Kitchen Garden by Alan Buckingham. I'm pretty sure I purchased this book at Costco...over a year ago. Would you believe it's been sitting on my shelf for over a year and that I just pulled it down a few days ago for the first time? Yep. It's true. And let me tell you...I am so glad that I did! This is seriously my new favorite garden book.

I have to tell you I have a very short attention span. I get bored easily. When I am gathering information I just want bullet-points...bam, bam, bam. I don't have the patience to read a big, long diatribe as to the importance of microbes in the soil and what they do, and why...and where...and how...step by step. Blah blah blah. I know some people thrive on that type of information...I...am not one of them.

I've decided that is the exact reason why I am loving The Kitchen Garden so much. It is broken down into manageable sections...Kitchen garden know-how, the Kitchen garden calendar, Crop planner and Troubleshooting.

So far my favorite section is the Kitchen garden calendar. Each month it gives a list of Top Tasks... what to harvest, what to plant, what to sow, what to pick...it's all laid out...right there on the page. Then each page after that gives detailed (but not too detailed) instructions on what to do, how and when along with many beautiful photographs.

The Crop planner is another great section. This section gives detailed information about planting, growing and harvesting many fruits, herbs and vegetables we commonly grow in our home gardens. There are also instructions for putting together raised garden beds and compost bins. There are tips on planting and pruning and protecting those precious seedlings from pests. There are instructions for storing your fruits and vegetables over the winter and cleaning up your garden for the dormant season. Oh...and did I mention the gorgeous photographs? Mm, mm...love this book.

Anyway...I just wanted to share this new (to me) find with you...and remind you that if it's been sitting on your shelf, unopened, you need to open it. It truly is that good. And if it's not sitting on your shelf, and you'd like it to be you can find links to it in this post as well as in my Amazon widget in the sidebar to the right. If you do happen to order it through my Amazon link I will get a small commission. Thank you in advance!

And have a great, productive weekend!

3 comments:

teekaroo said...

Sounds like a great book. You can never have too many gardening books, can you?

Mari said...

That does sound like an awesome book. I may have to check it out.
Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I need a book like that. It is going on my wish list :)