Tuesday, January 8, 2013

the goodness of turmeric

image

Over the past several years I have become more and more interested in natural and herbal remedies. The story of how I became interested in it is a bit of a long one that I will share here eventually. But for now, I wanted to introduce you to turmeric

Have you heard of turmeric? I had heard of it, but had never used it. As with most herbs and spices, I only knew of it for cooking purposes. I had no idea that it was also very medicinal. (As are many other spices you probably have in your cabinet. I'll share more as time goes on.)

Turmeric is "an anti-inflammatory, used to treat conditions such as arthritis, injury, asthma, ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s disease, skin disorders, elevated cholesterol, liver disease and cancer." It caught my attention with the "anti-inflammatory" claim, the asthma claim, as well as the claim to be helpful with fibromyalgia. Since I deal with all of these things I figured it couldn't hurt to at least give it a try.

I picked up a container full at the grocery store right on the spice aisle. I have added it to rice for flavor and color (and health, of course!), I add it to stir-fry, sprinkle it on chicken and just the other day I added several dashes to my healthful chicken broth. (Which, by the way, helped kick whatever was trying to get me! I even had a mug full with lunch today as I am feeling achy from the fibromyalgia.)

One of my goals this year is to learn more about natural remedies for common ailments. I am not one to take a lot of pills. Although I have in the past, thinking it was my only choice, and I could feel the affects of that in the form of painful kidneys. 

That can't be good, right?! Yeah...I didn't think so either! So anything I can do naturally, through diet or natural remedies and without a pill, is alright in my book.

Wanna know more about turmeric? Here are some links you may find helpful...


Organic Gardening: The healing powers of turmeric

And there are even more links on my Pinterest board, all natural.




1 comment:

teekaroo said...

Isn't that the main spice in curry dishes? I think I bought some when I tried to make curry once. It didn't turn out well, but I still have the spice in my cupboard!