Friday, May 18, 2012


I went to San Francisco a few weeks ago (or maybe a month ago? or more?!) with my mom, my aunt and my two cousins. It was a girl's day...and it was fun. We walked and talked and ate and laughed. Pretty much the usual for when we're all together...

I love my family.

You know what else I love? Yep. My digital camera. Love it. Years ago, maybe around 10 or so, a gal from church gave me (yes, GAVE ME) a Canon Rebel film camera. I was so excited. I had been wanting a good camera for a while. So to have this gifted to me was incredible. And to be honest, I didn't really know just how amazing of a gift it was. I wasn't knowledgeable about cameras...brands, styles, etc. I just knew that it was 35mm...and that was all that mattered to me. I was grateful.

I used that camera...as much as I could afford to. But film can be expensive...and developing it even more. So while I loved to take photos, I was always calculating costs in the back of my head and not allowing myself to just have fun and be creative with film.

Not to mention, sharing photos online using film was quite a process. Take the photo, finish a roll of film, have it developed (usually weeks and weeks later because I procrastinate), scan the photo, re size the photo, upload the photo...and then share it online. Not really worth it I gotta say.

Well, 5 years ago my husband decided to buy me a digital camera for my 40th birthday. I could hardly contain myself...I was so excited! I chose the same camera that I'd been using, only digital. I made that choice because it would fit a zoom lens I already had. It made sense. And it was a good choice. Yes, there are cameras out that do a lot more than mine does. But for the way I use it, and the knowledge I (don't really) have about cameras and photography, it's a great fit for me.

And...to make a long story even longer...what I really love about digital photography is that there is no limit! I can take as many photos as my battery will allow. One of my favorite things to do is to just hold the camera up and snap a photo. Or hold it down low to the ground...and snap.

The photo above was taken while walking back to the car after eating dinner with the girls. They were quite a bit ahead of me...because I was dilly-dallying with my camera. (But I'm pretty sure they're all used to that by now...) It wasn't a well thought out photo...I didn't frame it carefully...I just pointed and snapped. No. It's not perfect. It wouldn't win any photo contests. But to me it tells a story.

Some of my favorite photos are the ones I've taken without looking through the view finder at all. It's a fun surprise to see what's going to happen. It's a different process. If I am taking photos while looking through the view finder I have a really good idea of how the photo is going to turn out. (When I can get it right, that is...and that is not as often as I'd like....ahem.)

But when I just hold the camera low to the ground to snap a shot of mushrooms under an old tree stump I have no idea what the camera is going to reveal. That is exciting to me. And without digital I wouldn't be able to play this way. With digital I can just snap away. I can play with angles and settings and lighting and not have to worry about how much it's going to cost to see how the pictures turned out. Digital is great for those of us who have a bit of a challenge when it comes to patience.

What? You didn't know this about me? Ha...some of you did!

I love my digital camera. It was probably one of the best gifts ever. It opened up a whole new world for me.

1 comment:

Denise said...

and, who knew right?

I still use my trusty NikonD40 with the kit lens!