Tuesday, January 31, 2012

no rhyme or reason.

Who DID that?

Well...I gotta admit, yesterday's post took a way different turn than I intended.

I was going to tell you about the geese Ian and I saw flying overhead the other day. And the migration of little black birds we saw at sunrise on Saturday morning while driving down the highway to the wrestling tournament. It was amazing...thousands of birds as far as the eye could see in both directions...it had to have been miles.

I was going to tell you that my job ended...and there isn't another one in sight...yet.

I was going to tell you about the chickens and that I let them out to free-range for a while Sunday morning while I cleaned their pen...and they were happy. (And well behaved...ahem.)

I was going to tell you how if I don't have to leave the house...I won't. And how I'm not sure if that's a good thing.

I was going to tell you about some more recipes.
I still will.
But not today.

I had a lot to talk about yesterday...but instead, I wrote about my walk with God...as I do now and then. It poured out...and I let it. Sometimes I feel unsure about what comes out here at Give a Girl a Fig. I don't want to turn anyone off from church...or worse yet, turn anyone off from God. I hope I make it VERY clear that church and God are two totally different things. I hope it's clear that my journey at this point is about making sense of "organized religion" and the people in the church and not about making sense of God. God always makes sense. Even when I don't understand. That's just how He is.

Give a Girl a Fig is a place for me to sit and talk with kindred spirits (likeYOU) that God has brought into my life through the crazy world of the Internet. It's a place to walk my walk with God...out loud...through the good times and the bad times (if were talking "church talk" I'd say something like "through the mountains and the valleys"). It's a place to walk my journey with God with others...with you. Because what I'm learning is that walking this journey with God is best when walking it with others.

And ultimately, now that I think about it, that is what church is for. Church is an opportunity to gather with like-minded people who will join you on the mountain tops and in the valleys and who will pray with you through it all. I have to continue to remind myself that church is not full of perfect people that do all the right things and say all the right things and who never hurt one another's feelings. I mean, come on. Churches are full of people. And people are imperfect and will make mistakes. As the song says...love them anyway.

Yesterday's post surprised me...as my posts often do when God is in the mix. I come here to write and to share with whoever chooses to read my ramblings. But every once in a while, as I write to you, God writes to me...to us.

My greatest hope is that as you read my words...you also hear His. Sometimes you may have to read between the lines as my words can be jaded and opinionated at times. (ahem!) But in the end...when all is said and done...the bottom line is that I love God. And I trust Him. And I hope spending time here encourages you to do the same.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you have such a way of explaining your faith. it is quite amazing.

Michelle said...

It's an amazing gift we can give each other to be open to other's experience of faith, spirituality, relationship to the Creator. I think that you're exactly the kind of person Jesus would recognise as a Christian. Your thoughtful journey with God is inspiring.