Sunday, May 17, 2009

Doing my part.

Yesterday morning my son needed a ride to the ballpark so that he could umpire a game. He had to be there at 8:45 so I decided to take him and maybe stop by a few yard sales on my way back home. I used to go to yard sales all the time...and the flea market, too. At least once a month. But...the kids got older and started playing sports. We got more and more involved with church and busied ourselves with that. And before I knew it...I'd gotten away from yard sales. I'd stop on occasion...and would usually find something cool. But I didn't get up early and go intentionally...you know, coffee in travel mug, snacks so you don't have to stop, newspaper with yellow hi-lites, map, girlfriend...intentionally.
Well, yesterday I decided to stop by some yard sales, semi-intentionally; no map or newspaper but I did have my reusable water bottle, small bills and change and I'd actually changed out of my pajama bottoms! And I'm so glad that I did! I got some good bargains: Capri's from The Gap, $3; Joe Boxer comforter for one of the boys beds, $3; gorgeous print, $1; two glass storage jars, 25 cents each; enamel ware kitchen tin set, $5; ampersand wall hanging, brand new $13, I paid $5; and a tiny white creamer with blue trim and flowers (not pictured, it went directly into the hutch) for 75 cents. Not a bad haul for $18.25.
This is the first time I've purchased an article of clothing at a yard sale. I just don't have luck in finding clothes that I like...or that are my size...or that are in decent enough condition...used. But yesterday I did. And I'm feeling pretty good about it. I have to say, I do pretty good buying clothes on the clearance rack. I typically don't buy something unless it's on sale. But...the beauty of buying used is that whole recycling thing...reusing...and it made me feel like I'm doing "my part" for the environment.

4 comments:

Elaine said...

Nice finds! I want to go "intentionally" garage saling with you next time. Although, I might only be going for the Starbucks and the joy of watching you find "it"!!!!

Michelle @ Give a Girl a Fig said...

Hey Elaine...whatever your motives I'd LOVE to go yard saling with you! Maybe we could meet at DeNio's sometime...that's always a fun place, too.

Anonymous said...

I believe that YOU scored!

Nancy said...

I'd say you had a great day. I too went to garage sales (intentionally) and found nothing. Some days are like that.