Monday, January 19, 2009

transparency.



I searched many, many blogs over the weekend looking for inspiration and new ideas. There are tons of blogs out there...TONS. So many people with so much to say. And so much to share. I bookmarked some new blogs and found some new recipes...which is what I was looking for. But I also found something I wasn't looking for...I realized that many people who have blogs feel like it has to be a place with a topic. A cooking blog or a decorating blog or a spiritual blog or a gardening blog...and ALL posts are ALL about the topic. After all, this is what we're told makes a "successful" blog...right? Having a topic...? Right? That's what I've read anyway.

When I would come across a new blog I'd check the date of the most recent entry. Many of them were only a day or two away...but many were from weeks, even months, back. I know I'm guilty of this with my own blog...not posting for weeks, maybe months, at a time. So why aren't we posting regularly? Why do we disappear for months at a time? Do we not have anything to say? Are we completely silent? I don't think so. Not for me, at least. I always have something to say...it's just not always pretty or helpful or encouraging. Many times it's real...it's ugly...it's sad...it's upsetting. And since it's not "on topic"...it's left unspoken.

This made me sad. It's sad to me that we can't just be ourselves and still be considered interesting...and worthy of spending some time with. Personally, I like to read about women who are like myself...a work in progress, imperfection striving for perfection...and no, it isn't pretty every day. No, the house isn't decorated perfectly. No, I didn't cook the healthiest meal every day. No, I didn't refrain from using that credit card or buying that item I didn't really need. But I'm trying. Every day I am working toward becoming a better person. It's the best I can do. It's all I've got to offer.

I have gone back and forth with trying to figure out a "theme" for my blog...so that it is "successful". But I can't seem to pinpoint who I am or what I represent or what I want to share with anyone who might happen upon this little corner of the internet. I can't seem to narrow it all down into one tidy little title. Or one catchy sub-title. This is life. And it's not one-dimensional. It's huge and it's crazy and it's hard. It's also beautiful and challenging and gratifying. So...I've decided that this blog, successful or not, will be real. The good, the bad and the ugly...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought I started out with a theme but really my blog is just my life (hence the title). It's for me. A way to document our comings and goings and day to day life. I'm okay with that now. Actually, I love it.

Michelle @ Give a Girl a Fig said...

dmoms...I'm with you. I just have to be myself. I have to write what's real...and I have to witness when I'm told to. It's as simple as that. I think that's why I enjoy your blog so much...it's authentic. :)