Sunday, January 11, 2009

Can you hear me, now?

From the book of Mark.
27Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible,
but not with God; all things are possible with God."

(Have you ever witnessed a sunset from above the clouds? I have. I borrowed this photo, and while it is beautiful, it does not do justice to what really takes place above the clouds when the sun goes down. It's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.)

This scripture has been flashed in front of my face for months now. It started in October sometime...not sure exactly when..but I know it was definitely October because it really hit me in November at our women's retreat. I'd see it somewhere...on a bookmark, a magnet, a greeting card...and think, "Yeah, yeah, that's cute. With God all things are possible. Yeah, yeah...nice." and then move on. So for a couple of weeks before retreat it kept popping up...and I kept dismissing it. Then at retreat I was given a gift. It was a pretty paperweight with a really cool graphic...and...the words, "With God all things are possible." I told the gal who gave it to me that I'd been seeing that scripture everywhere lately...laughed and thanked her...and moved on.

When I got home from retreat I put the paperweight on the sideboard here, right next to where I sit and do my morning devotions. And really I put it there because I really didn't have anywhere else to put it! I sat here when I got home from retreat and read sweet notes from some of the ladies and looked at some of the nice gifts I was given, including the paperweight...so there it sat, sort of by default! But eventually it dawned on me...that God was really trying to speak to me. That what He was saying to me wasn't just a cute little "quote" on a bookmark. It was a word from God himself...a promise...an answer...encouragment...hope...all wrapped up into one little sentence that I'd tossed around so flippantly. And after weeks and weeks of this scripture flashing in front of me...on the christian morning shows I watch, in devotionals I read, in passages in the bible, in friends calling me and telling me they were thinking of me and then quoting that exact scripture, in emails, in other womens blogs...it was everywhere. GOD was everywhere...and He was trying to get my attention.

And finally, He got it. It clicked. And I believed Him. I didn't just hear it, I believed it. And there's a difference. I believe that with God, all things ARE possible. ALL things. Not some things. Not a few things. Not certain things. ALL things. If we are in His will and following His lead and doing the things He's got planned for our lives, ALL of those things will be possible with HIM. Thank you, God, for taking such good care of me.

No comments: