Friday, March 28, 2014

old movies.



The summer between my 9th and 10th grade year I probably watched (at least) two or three old movies a week. We had one of the movie channels...HBO, Showtime, one of those...and they would play old movies on weekday mornings. So after sleeping in, and while working on the chore list mom left for me before she headed off to work, I'd watch an old movie.

I remember a few specifically...

Yours, Mine and Ours with Lucille Ball and Henry Fonda...quite possibly my absolute favorite. There's not a scene in that movie that I don't love.

Cheaper by the Dozen was another good one...the dad was strange but would you believe I employ a variation of his bath time routine for the most efficient use of shower time?

Houseboat  also stands out in my memory...though I can't tell you exactly why. Sophia Loren wasn't necessarily a favorite...but maybe I liked the houseboat itself? Or maybe I liked Cary Grant? Ahem.

Doris Day movies were always fun...they were light and upbeat. And she was so pretty and put together. Send Me No Flowers is a favorite...not only is it a cute movie, but the house is awesome, too. Love that back patio.

Of course, I can't talk about old movies without mentioning Shirley Temple. The Little Princess is my all-time favorite...when her dad returns from the war and saves the day?! Come on!

Then of course there are the old movies that mom introduced me to...Little Women, Meet Me in St. Louis, Wizard of Oz...all of them favorites of hers, and now favorites of mine, too.

I'm not a fan of most of the remakes, I must say. Except for A Little Princess. (Honestly, I might like it better than the Shirley Temple version.) and Little Women. Other than that, I think I'm an old movie purist.

Now if you'll excuse me, I think I need to pop some popcorn and find myself an old movie to watch.

How about you? Do you have a favorite old movie?


No comments: