Saturday, February 23, 2013

and then the days got longer.



When winter rolls around and the days grow shorter and darker the chickens take a break from laying eggs. It's the natural thing for them...gives their little bodies a break.

Sadly, our winter has been very mild. (I know, call me crazy, I just love winter. What can I say?) It hardly seems like we had any winter at all. But we did, of course, and during that time the girls took their annual break.

A couple of weeks ago I went out to feed them some kitchen scraps and load up their feeder and decided to check for eggs. And what do you know? There were three!

Since then we've been getting 3-4 eggs every couple of days or so.
Beautiful, brown eggs...organic, rich, healthy...from happy, healthy chickens.
I like that.



2 comments:

Lelainia N. Lloyd said...

I wish we had chickens. Someday! What do you do with the manure? Put it in your garden?

Denise said...

i was just noticing that it is still light out - at 545 even :)