Monday, August 6, 2012

windows

photo credits

“But tomorrow, dawn will come the way I picture her,

barefoot and disheveled, standing outside my window

in one of the fragile cotton dresses of the poor.

She will look in at me with her thin arms extended,

offering a handful of birdsong and a small cup of light.”

~William Collins

*

Our next home is going to have lots of windows and be filled with light.

Our next home will have a window over the kitchen sink.
I never knew how much I loved a window over the kitchen sink until I didn't have one.

I have a memory of looking out the front window watching the rain fall. I was maybe 7 or 8. I was running through the months of the year over and over in my head, making sure I had them memorized. The house was warm and smelled good...like celery and onions cooking on the stove. Mom was making something good and I was waiting for it to be time to walk to the Bookmobile...which I did, in the rain. I wish I could remember the title of the book that I borrowed. But I don't. All I do remember is that it was so good I read it in an afternoon and was disappointed that I had to wait weeks until the Bookmobile came our way again.




No comments: