Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Papa...I miss you.

Charles "Papa" Dobrunick  April 4, 1916 - June 26, 2011

With joy you will draw water
from the wells of salvation.

Isaiah 12:3

Today's Wednesday in the Word is dedicated to my Papa...Charles Dobrunick. Papa passed away peacefully in his sleep early Sunday morning. He left this earth just the way he'd wanted to...quietly, gently and without any bother or fanfare.

Papa wasn't one for a big fuss.

There is so much I want to tell you about Papa. And I really thought now was the time I was going to do that. But for some reason...the words aren't coming. I thought once I sat down to write about him the words would just flow. But...they're not. They are still in my heart...for me only...for now.

The main thing...the most important thing...and the reason Wednesday in the Word is dedicated to Papa is because I just have to tell you how GOOD God is in all of this.

Last week God gave me Isaiah 12...verse 2 was specifically for me at that moment, but my goodness, verse 3 really stood out to me. It was so beautiful...so poetic...the words created such a beautiful image in my mind...with joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation.

I read it...over and over again.

I heard it in my mind...over and over again throughout the week.

It would pop into my head out of the blue while I drove, while I was at the grocery store, while I washed dishes....it was constant. But I didn't really think too much of it...

* * * * *

It was early on Sunday morning, still dark outside...in my sleep I barely heard my cell phone ring. I sat straight up, "Honey...did you hear that?"

He did hear it.

I ran and grabbed my phone...it was 5:08..."Mom" read on the display screen. I immediately called her back, "Mom...did you mean to call me?"

"No. I was trying to call Aunt Lisa." And then through tears she told me...Papa had passed away. Just like that...he sailed away.

I hung up the phone and immediately I looked to God...in disbelief. Not disbelief that Papa was gone. That really couldn't be a drastic surprise. He was 95. He'd led a really good, long life. And after all these years his body was getting tired. So I think deep inside we were all preparing ourselves for this moment.

No...his passing wasn't unbelievable. The disbelief was between me and God and Papa...and God giving me a chance to lead Papa to Jesus. It was about God sending me to Papa to let him know that Jesus loves him...and that there is life....heaven...perfection...waiting for him on the other side. I was ready. I was preparing. I had already told God...You just let me know...You just say the word and I am there.

But "the word" never came.

I stood in my kitchen in shock...and disbelief. I was...gosh, what was I? I can't even describe the feelings I was having in that split-second of a moment.

But...God.

But God, before I could really even consider spinning out of control...God in His infinite wisdom, His omniscience, His omnipotence...He knew my thoughts...He knew my emotions...He knew my confusion...and just as soon as the thoughts came flooding in I heard God whisper..."I've got him."

Over and over...with each wave of doubt...

"I've got him."
"I've got him."
"I've got him."


God.had.Papa.
One little whisper...and I knew.
I knew that I knew that I knew...Papa was with God.

But then more doubt sets in...and you begin to argue with yourself...and with God...because things didn't take place like you thought they would...or like you planned them out.

But God...

But God had a plan, too. And His plans are perfect. His plans are good. His plans are righteous. His plans always succeed.

I sat on my couch and prayed...and I asked God, please, give me scripture...for Papa, for me, for reassurance that he truly is with you...

Another whisper..."Isaiah 12.."

I quickly opened my bible and turned to Isaiah 12...and there it was...practically leaping off of the page...those words that had been echoing in my mind and in my heart all week.

...with joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation.

In that moment, any doubt...any fear...any confusion...disappeared. And I knew, without a doubt, that Papa was with God...and at that very moment he was drawing from the wells of salvation with joy. And that when it is my time to sail away...Papa will be there, waiting for me...probably inventing something or drawing something or cracking a joke. I'm looking forward to it...

I'll see you when I get there, Papa. Until then...I love you and I miss you...always.

Thank you God for your faithfulness...for your love and care...
for your wells of salvation...
for taking Papa home to be with you...
for allowing him to swim in the river and sleep in the tall grass.
You are a good God. And I love You.
Amen.