Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Wednesday in the Word.


Psalm 63:1-8

1 You, God, are my God,
earnestly I seek you;
I thirst for you,
my whole being longs for you,
 in a dry and parched land
where there is no water.

2 I have seen you in the sanctuary
and beheld your power and your glory.

3 Because your love is better than life,
my lips will glorify you.

4 I will praise you as long as I live,
and in your name I will lift up my hands.

5 I will be fully satisfied as with the richest of foods;
with singing lips my mouth will praise you.

6 On my bed I remember you;
I think of you through the watches of the night.

7 Because you are my help,
I sing in the shadow of your wings.

8 I cling to you;
your right hand upholds me.

I forgot today was Wednesday. And I started a whole different post...about the boutique we're doing this Saturday. But then it dawned on me what today was...and I deleted the whole post...and started over. I had to think a bit about what I wanted to share today...and as I thought the word "dry" popped into my head.

That's how I'm feeling lately...dry. Not down. Or sad. Or depressed. Just...dry.

And...I know why. Because I haven't been having my time with God each morning. I haven't been reading my bible. I haven't been writing in my prayer journal. I haven't been listening to worship music. I haven't been doing a bible study. I haven't been doing much in the way of spending time with God. At least not quality time. I talk with Him in the shower...and I talk with Him throughout the day...but it's more of a one-sided conversation. I'm talking. He's listening. And probably waiting for me to hush so He can get a word in edge-wise!

Talking to God throughout the day isn't a bad thing. It's good to be in communication with God all day long...being open to Him and His guidance. If I'm at the grocery store, I want to be open to Him asking me to buy food for someone. Or as I'm driving along, I want to hear Him whisper someones name so I can pray for them, or give them a call. It's good to talk with Him during the day. But those times are more like friendly chats...not good, deep, heartfelt conversations. And that's what I'm missing...

There's something about those first moments in the morning that make those conversations possible. It's quiet, and dark...it's just me and Him...and it's then that I can actually hear Him...clearly.

I could give some excuses as to why I haven't been spending time with God first thing in the morning...but why? The simple fact is that I have been distracted...and I have gotten out of the "habit" of my morning time in God's word. That's it. So now it's just a matter of getting back into that "habit"...because I am very thirsty, dry and parched. And only the Living Water can quench this thirst...

Dear God....my whole being longs for you.
Help me find my way out of this desert.
It seems I've lost my way.

Amen.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

God is closer than our breath...

That's a line from a song that I cry through out every time I hear it. He is there and never moves. It is only us that is constantly shifting like the wind. We allow the world to pull us away because the enemy never grows tired of seeking to destroy us.

You're Here by Leigh Nash

my life is up and it is down
I try to keep both feet on the ground
your love is all that gets me through
All I need on this earth is You

and I can hear your voice reciting
"I'm hear, I'm closer than your breath
I've conquered even death
I am still here
and just like I was then
you can't remember when I was not here"

Jesus, you're the author of my heart
told me you wanted every part
and now my life and its demands
are resting safety in your hands

and I can hear your voice inviting
"I'm hear, I'll never leave your side
my stubborn weary child
I am still here
please let Me lead you on
your race is already won
I am your God"

And I can hear Your voice inviting
"I'm here
I'll never leave your side
My stubborn weary child
I am still here
Please let me lead you on
Your race is already won
I am, I am your God.

Mari said...

I'm guilty of this too...I know right where you are. Thanks for being so transparent and honest. It motivates me to begin again, and make that time with Him a priority...even with all the "busyness".

Love ya gal.
xoxo

teekaroo said...

Needed this today. Thank you.

christina said...

so glad i stopped here. i always feel the warmth of God here.
and such a pretty photo. i love the softness of the fence in the background.
xo

Kelly Cook said...

I too am guilty of this! I pray a little before getting out of bed (more a trick to stay in bed a little longer than a desire to start with prayer)and then when I take a bath I pray. Most nights I'm having some sort of one sided conversation with Him too, as I drift off to sleep. I'm trying to break the grip the internet has on me, and spend some time with God before logging on. Anyone else identify with that? I have to force myself to read the Bible for 5 minutes, but can't pull away from the computer after 2 hours. Sad state for me! I'm going to read that Psalm tomorrow morning, thanks!

T said...

I love love love this scripture, Michelle. Thanks for sharing. I think I needed to hear it. :)

Laura at By the Bushel said...

Thank you, Michelle- :)