Saturday, February 6, 2010

Gray Saturday...and a good find.

{my little boys...about 10 years ago...this picture hangs on the side of the fridge...I miss those days..}
It's Saturday...and rainy...and gray...and lazy! Ian has been playing video games all day. Seth has been laying on the couch...or on his bed...or on MY bed...all day. He did get up first thing and go for a physical and then some conditioning for baseball. But since then? He's been down. And I am letting him. His days are long...Chris drops him off at school at 6:40 on his way to the shop. He goes to school all day...then straight to practice after school...and then home around 5:30 or so. That's an 11 hour day! So I figure if he wants to relax...he should.
Chris has been going like crazy too. He ended up taking a nap today! He rarely naps...so I figure he must have needed it.
And me? I've done some laundry. Run to the store. Stopped at the thrift shop. And then to the used book store. And...guess what I found? One of the exact books I've been looking for!! What are the chances of that? I've had this book on my Wishlist for months! I first found it at the library and loved it. Eventually I had to return it...but then I checked it out again a month or so later and still have it! But now...I can return it because I have my own! And the best part...it was $4!All of the books are half price so it was marked at $7.50. And since I have store credit from bags of books I've taken there in the past...I only had to pay half of that! $3.75 plus tax. It made my DAY!
Oh! You probably want to know what book I'm talking about, eh? This one...1001 Natural Remedies. Its contents are Natural Health Remedies, Natural Beauty, Natural House and Garden and Natural Pet Care. It talks about Natural Medicines and gives a list of items that the author considers to be "indispensable for a basic natural medicine chest." Things like Chamomile, Echinacea, Epsom salts, Ginger, Sea Salt, and Tea Tree Oil.
1001 Natural Remedies has something for everything from acne to water retention. How about making your own facial scrub using oats, yogurt and honey..? Or maybe you want to make your own deodorant. Bring on the witch hazel and your favorite essential oil. Need to remove toilet rings? As easy as Borax, lemon juice and a pumice stick.
I am so excited. I can't even believe that I found it...considering it was on the bottom shelf, behind a big box of books. So how I saw it is beyond me. It was like finding a needle in a haystack. I'm so excited!

8 comments:

WhiteStone said...

Books! I love it when I find a good book at a bargain price. Congrats on the find!

Nancy said...

I think I shall call you Dr. Michelle! Do you make house calls?

Unknown said...

That is an awesome find! Love it when that happens. Okay, can I share my find this weekend? I don't know if you remember the Rummage Sale I mentioned a couple of weeks ago? Well, we had it this weekend. And raised $6200!!! Can you believe it? Anyway, several years ago I gave away a Big Berkey Water Filter to a friend (the kind the Red Cross uses when going into disaster areas. It can filter mud water and things like e.coli it's so good!) Why I gave it away is still unknown to this day except that I get on these purging binges - things, not food. I regretted parting with it, but it was done. I had decided I should just buy a new one some day. Guess what showed up at the Rummage sale? My same old Big Berkey Water Filter!! It is now back home with ME! God is so kind.

Are you enjoying as much rain as us?

Amy @ River Rock Cottage said...

I have no clue why it is posting me as WELCOME! It did that on another blog just a minute ago. Weird. It's just me...Amy.

Talitha said...

Love that picture of the boys! So sweet.

How cool that you found your book. Isn't that the greatest feeling? Scoring a treasure like that... Congrats!

A Friend Across the Miles said...

It was obviously so meant to be! What a score...

Have you ever loved a book from the library so much that you were tempted to tell the librarian it was lost when it reality you just wanted to keep it for yourself? Me neither. Just checking...

~~Camie~~

PS: My word verification? mates! Seriously could NOT be better...unless they mean mates, as in yerba mates teas, plural. Oh good grief, I need to go to bed...

Anonymous said...

just yesterday I gave Josh a huge spoonful of honey with lemon juice on top to help soothe his cough. I love books like this.

Anita said...

Congrats on your fantastic find. Obviously you and this book were meant to be together :) Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy when you have a "win" like this doesn't it? BTW, just wanted to say that I've been lurking on your blog for a couple of weeks and I love it here. Thought I should let you know. Have a happy Monday. Anita. x