Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Christmas from Albuquerque.

My mother in law, Emily, lives in ABQ. Just before Christmas we received a big box full of packages...and my packages just happened to be on top and see-through so I couldn't help but...um...peek.
What? It wasn't my fault.
Anyway...as soon as I opened this big box the first thing I saw was this...and I gasped. I knew what they were...and I knew she made them...and I knew they were for me. And I was thrilled.
I thought to myself, "Now how did she know I've been wanting crocheted dishcloths?! How did she KNOW?!"

Look at the sweet color combinations. Aren't they adorable? I love them. Seriously. To the point of tucking them in my hutch to just look at for a while. I don't want to use them quite yet...I don't want to get them dirty. I know, I know...it's what they're for. But they're too adorable! I'll use them. I will. I just want to look at them for a while longer...that's all.
These were in the same package...
...gorgeous, thick, heavy and beautiful hot pads. Hand-crocheted. In various sizes thankyouverymuch. Love them! And I love the colors...again. Gorgeous. And perfect for my neutral sensibilities.

Then...as I continue pulling packages out of the box, I come across these little beauties.
A collection of vintage tin cups. Oh my goodness. Can you believe how adorable these are?

Years ago we went to visit Emily. And one day she and I went by a yard sale. (Something we both enjoy.) I found a little tin pitcher and picked it up for a dollar or something. So years later she remembered that I had an eye for that type of thing...and so she knew that these little cups would be a perfect gift for me. And she was right...

I don't even know what to say about these two little cups.

How do you put words to the cuteness of these?! Seriously! Look at that little flower motif. Look at it! Is it not one of the cutest things you've ever seen? They, too, are in the hutch. Looking cute as ever. Every time I look at them I smile. They have that effect on me. And you too, I bet, if you were here.
Now this next one made me do a double-take. Is it? What? Could it be?
It sure is. I'll be darned if it isn't Holly Hobbie. Remember her? I do. I had a Holly Hobbie lunch box in the 3rd grade. Holly Hobbie was it when I was little. That and Betsy Clark. Who remembers Betsy Clark? Loved her stuff, too. Baby Anne...I miss you, wherever you are.
But then I grew older...and Hello Kitty came along. Her and Bonne Bell lip smackers. Remember the gigantic tubes of it? Mmmm...strawberry was the best. And Bubble Gum. Oh! And how about Love's Baby Soft? I wore it. And felt mature. And then when they came out with lemon scent...are you kidding me? I was really mature then.
I wonder whatever happened to my lunchbox. Maybe it got sold at a yard sale. Or probably just thrown away. Reusing and recycling wasn't big in the 70's.
Ahem...where was I? Oh...Christmas gifts. Handmade. Crochet. That's right. Sorry...I had a little blast from the past. I love it when items do that to me. It's fun. And reminds me of the good ol' days. And the bookmobile. And riding my bike pretending that I was Dale, our bus driver. Dale was a man. But that's OK. He was really, really nice. And I was only 7 or 8. What did I know?
Speaking of pretending my bike was something other than a bike. How about when my friend Deanna and I played Charlie's Angels and I was Farrah Fawcett and my bike was her blue Cobra? Hmmm.... how about that? True confessions! Hey. I was 8 or 9. What can I say?
Anyway...Christmas was good. And I love all of the gifts Emily sent me. We don't see each other very often for various reasons...or talk often enough....but when we do, it's like no time has passed. And she reads my blog...it helps her stay caught up on all our crazy shenanigans...like chicken keeping!
Hi Emily! Thank you! I love it all...and I love you.

12 comments:

Elyse said...

Oh my gosh what thoughtful gifts!!! I love the crocheted washcloths and hot pads!! Those are awesome :)

Magnolia Handspun said...

What a kindred spirit...those gifts are so sweet.

Anonymous said...

What amazingly sweet things. Send your momma-in-law my address too. Those dish cloths will be perfect for mopping up the spills of tea when I enjoy a cuppa with a lemon marmalade smeared cookie.

Nancy said...

I think you're a darn lucky daughter-in-law. You got some really fun loot. I love all those crocheted kitchen items. Adorable. I do remember Holly Hobbie AND Betsy Clark. The flower motif tin cups are my faves.

Anonymous said...

wow. you really scored. love everything. I remember Holly Hobbie but no Betsy Clark : )

Tammy said...

Lucky you! Gorgeous gifts!

Lisa Gallup said...

What?? Your mil lives in Albuquerque??! Did I know this? Are you ever here? Maybe we can actually meet after all these years!!! :D

You Can Call Me Jane said...

Wow. What amazing and thoughtful gifts. You deserve such things, my dear:-).

Kelly said...

What special gifts....and thanks for the bike flashback, mine would have been more Dukes of Hazard. :)

Unknown said...

Oh, Michelle. When I read your blog, I just laugh and think we could be sisters - we are so alike! I do the same thing when I get sweet little gifts like the knitted wash cloths. I'll use them, but I have to spend some time admiring them first. And I know we are about the same age, because of all the things you described - Holly Hobby, Betsy Clark, etc... memories...

I got tickled when I read your comment at RRC. I was planning to do a post on the calendar/organizer and then I read your comment! See, we even think alike!

T said...

What a sweet relationship you have with your MIL! How precious that she knew you would be tickled by these gifts. They are adorable!

Neuroknitter said...

OMG! Those tin cups are the most amazing pieces I've seen in forever! Your pictures of them are great...Love the one with the lemons in the bkgd. The handmade dishcloths are perfect! What a wonderful and special gift!