Thursday, March 26, 2009

Gourmet lunch with make-do items..

The other day I was home doing things around the house...laundry, dusting, vacuuming...the usual. I lost track of time. Eventually, I realized that I was pretty hungry. I looked in the fridge. It was looking pretty sad. But we are on such a tight budget that I wasn't about to go grab any fast food...convenient as it may be.
I decided to dig through the crisper drawer and the freezer to see what I could come up with. I took it on as a challenge...to feed myself well with whatever I had lying around.
I found the last of the frozen pot stickers I'd bought at a GREAT price at the Grocery Outlet. Hmm...sounds good! I got those going and continued to dig. I found a half of a container of chicken broth, one carrot, the last little bit of bagged, shredded cabbage and some green onion.
Hey...this could work! And it did! I ended up with an Asian style cabbage slaw, pot stickers with homemade dipping sauce and an Asian style soup.
And it was GOOD. Not bad for having "nothing" to eat.
How often do we say this? "There's nothing to eat!" Or better yet...how often does my family say it? Well, it's all about creativity...and I definitely got creative!

1 comment:

pinkpeppercorns said...

That looks fabulously delicious!