Monday, August 11, 2014

working full-time and the lonely kitchen.


Quick and easy pizza breads...add a salad or
some fresh fruit and voila...dinner is served!
Last week was my first full week of working full-time. And I gotta tell ya...it kicked my behind!

Part of it is getting used to working so much after having the summer off. But most of it is that it's just plain crazy these first couple of weeks preparing for the students and teachers to arrive. I was so busy last week I wasn't even aware of the time...I'd look up from my work and see that it was time to go home! And by the time I got home I was toast. Think Goldie Hawn in Overboard...you know the scene where she is just mumbling, in a shocked daze, staring off into space, "Buh buh buh buh buh buh...". Yes. That was me. Or at least that's how I felt!

Needless to say, I didn't cook much last week. Honestly, I think I "cooked" once, if you count heating frozen burritos in the microwave then making them look fancy and appealing by melting cheese on top and adding a dollop of sour cream and salsa. Good thing my husband isn't picky.

I mean, we're not starving by any means. But we cannot live on frozen burritos alone...or fast food...or cold cereal. So I've got to figure out some quick, healthy, tasty, easy dinners to make on weeknights. I have been perusing Pinterest (of course) and have found some good ideas. I also put a shout out on Facebook to my friends, asking that they share their own quick and easy ideas. And they have...thank goodness.

Over the next few days I'm going to be gathering meal ideas and thinking of menu plans that I can prep or cook in advance then assemble quickly during the week. I need them to be quick and easy so I don't have any excuses as to why I can't prepare meals on weeknights. I'll let you know what I come up with.

And I am all ears if you'd like to share some of your quick and easy meal ideas...hint, hint.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tend to cook on Sunday afternoons meals I can easily reheat during the week. I work anywhere from 55-65 hours a week and hate to have to come and cook - we wouldn't eat until 7 or 8 if I did. I find that an hour or two of weekend cooking makes my work week so much easier. I will say this is easier in the cooler months as I think the meals I like to make for reheating are more fall/winter types of meals. I like to roast a chicken and then have it various ways - in a salad, with veggies. Yesterday I made a meatloaf and stuffed peppers - enough for 4 meals. Crockpot meals are good too - soups, chili, meatballs, a roast.

Jennifer said...

I am so glad that I am not the only one who remembers that movie, I love it so much!

I have vowed to do the same thing as we head into school season. Looking for some pop out of the freezer meals, so we don't opt into spending money eating out.

I love Karen's idea! Even if I could do most of the prep work, that would be great!