Monday, August 13, 2012

around here.


Oh goodness...so here we are...the last few days of summer vacation. It is still hot here...two more days of 100+ temps are breathing down my neck. It's been really, really hot for the past few days but thank GOODNESS for a functioning a/c unit. Oh my gosh...so many people have had their a/c go out and honestly, I don't know what I would do. Sell my left kidney, more than likely, to get a new one! I have lived summer's here without a/c and it is not good. At all.

Anyway...only a few days left of our summer break. Then it's back to school, back to work, back to getting up early. So we've got to get ready!

I have been looking for lots of healthy brown bag inspiration. Chris and I will need a lunch daily and the boys will take lunch 3 times a week and buy the other 2 days. We don't want the same thing every day so I'm trying to get creative...and organized!

The garden is hanging in there. I gotta say it hasn't been the best year for our garden. We've harvested plenty of zucchini with enough to share now and then, which I love to do.

We've harvested tons of peppers that have yet to be used...they're waiting patiently in the crisper. I want to pickle them but don't know how and haven't found a recipe that sounds like what I'm looking for...yet.

We have one cantaloupe growing...so far. And a few cucumbers. But that's about it. Even the nasturtiums aren't doing as much this year.

I don't know if it's because we're on a drip system this year and I'm not out there as much hand watering? Or if it's just an off year for gardening? I do know that I haven't seen hardly any bees this year. I did at the beginning...but not so much lately. It worries me...and makes me want to get my own hive all the more.

Just got a call from the school I will be working at...my new hours are 9:30-1:15 with opportunity for extra hours on a regular basis. I know...I'd be jealous, too. :)

I guess that's about it. It all seems like so much more in my brain. Today Ian and I will head out to get a few more things for school and a haircut. And maybe a couple of lunch boxes for Chris and I. I might just try the compartmentalized containers from Glad...they look pretty handy. We'll see...

Monday...so far, so good. What's going on around your neck of the woods?


2 comments:

Denise said...

your hours are sweet - I take those hours 5 days a week vs my 3 8 hours days! so happy for you :)

Green Gal said...

Sounds like a lot going on! And the heat is so crazy--even on the coast, it gets too hot to stay inside (no A/C in the dorms). At least there's a breeze off the ocean...

I stopped by to let you know that you've been nominated for the Sunshine Award! http://greenbeangal.blogspot.com/2012/08/sunshine-award.html