Thursday, January 26, 2012

a new recipe.


credit.
I may have mentioned that I am working on making a few changes in the way I cook...more protein and vegetables, fewer carbs. My boys made the request a while back (they're conditioning for sports) and I figured it could only benefit all of us.

However, I'm finding this is easier said than done. I never realized how much I relied on a starch when planning our meals...rice, pasta, potatoes, bread, tortillas...they were staples at every meal. And I don't necessarily think this is a bad thing...I believe in balance. I am not an "all or nothing" kind of gal when it comes to diet. But there was definitely room to cut back on the serving sizes.

Anyway...a few days ago I found a Martha Stewart recipe on Pinterest that looked tasty. And it just so happened I had a few sausages that I needed to use up. As a matter of fact, I had all of the ingredients I needed for this dish...canned beans, onion, garlic, carrots, sausage, broth...it was super easy. And very tasty. Everyone liked it and agreed that it should become a new addition to our menus.

Admittedly, these beans could be eaten as a main dish. Add a tossed salad and some warm, crusty bread and you'd be good to go. But this time I decided to make it an even more protein rich meal and served them alongside some broiled tilapia.  Then I added a big bowl of stir-fried vegetables cabbage and asparagus. It was all delicious. And all gone! Not to mention...hearty and healthy.

(See? Pinterest isn't all bad. It can be a wonderful way to waste time very helpful.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

love it. that is my kind of dish although probably not my kids.

yes, pinterest = helpful :)

Nancy said...

oh, that recipe sounds so good. i have all the ingredients on hand. may have to try it this week.

pinterest can be a good thing unless i spend all day on it!