Friday, August 26, 2011

focusing on the good..


I'm feeling slightly overwhelmed today...it's been a BUSY week. The kids went back to school...and so did I! Somehow, without trying or doing it on purpose, I managed to take a year off from school. And, um, at my age, I don't have a year to spare. But...regardless of my age or time or whatever...I have not worked toward my degree for a whole year. *cricket cricket*

I know. To say that I am frustrated and disappointed in myself is an understatement. I am. Very. But...it is what is...the time is gone...and so now I have no choice but to pull my head out (yes, I said that) and GET TO WORK.

On that note...I will tell you that I signed up for two classes this semester (three would have been ideal, but it wasn't in the cards this semester) and I am officially back on track. I am also more motivated than ever...and actually very excited and very hopeful. And while taking a "break" was not a good decision, it is now giving me the push I needed to buckle down and finish school.

Sooooo...because I'm feeling  disappointed but trying to think positive instead, I'm pretty sure this is a perfect time for focusing on the good:
  • Harvesting 7 lbs. of tomatoes from my garden this morning. I love it!
  • Going to a San Francisco Giants game at AT&T Park, on a school night, with my whole family...mom, dad, brother and his family, and all of us. Super fun...even though they lost. (Thanks mom and dad!)
  • Having a goal and working toward it.
  • Sitting under the ceiling fan.
  • BLT's with fresh tomatoes...mm mm mmmm.
  • Information (and friends!) at my finger tips.
  • Sun tea...every time.
  • The neighbor trimming his trees and inadvertently providing more sunshine for our grass in the backyard.
  • Washing dishes by hand. (Dishwasher pooped out.) Weird. I know. But I'm really enjoying it.
  • Realizing that I am closer to my degree than I thought.
  • Also realizing that I can take half of the classes I need for my Bachelor's Degree at the local community college hence saving us LOTS of money.
  • Busy, active, involved kids. Not too busy...but busy doing things they choose and enjoy and are good at.
  • Finding a new church...I think.
  • Applying for a few jobs at the school district and feeling hopeful that one of them will be just for me.
  • Finished projects...thank you honey!
  • Loads of blooms on the Meyer lemon tree. (thanks for the tip mom!)
  • A stack of library books.
  • Pablo sleeping above my pillow and resting his paw on my head.
  • NOT being the oldest person in my Creative Writing class at the junior college. *wink*
I don't know about you...but I'm feeling much better. Nothing like counting your blessings to make you realize what's really important in life.

The only real mistake is the one
from which we learn nothing. 
~John Powell

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome list. i was wondering what was up with school. now school with a potential job too? keep us posted. thinking of you :)

Sandy said...

I'm almost 43 and haven't even started my degree yet. Crickets? They're playing an entire symphony over here.

You Can Call Me Jane said...

Blessings to you as you and your boys start your school year! I am so proud of you (for this and many other reasons):-).

Charissa Steyn said...

Needed to hear this today.... MUST focus on the good and be thankful...no time for thinking about stuff that is not pleasing to God. It's better to be happy anyways- get alot more done that way ;)Thanks for sharing your heart !!

Nancy said...

here's to a good school year! *clink clink*

love all the good you found in life for your list :)

Thomas said...

I have a great deal of respect for those who can find the time and commitment to go back to school. I don't know if my mind could handle it again at that point.

Good look with your fall semester. Hopefully you're taking a couple of interesting classes.