Sunday, June 8, 2014

Sunday morning...

My weather app says it's supposed to be 106 degrees today. And will remain hot for the next couple of days. Luckily, I have air-conditioning (I couldn't live without it, Denise!) so I will just remain indoors doing my Sunday puttering.

I spent a little time in the garden this morning...wanted to get out there before it was too hot. I watered, pinched off a few tomato suckers, gave everything a good once over.

I've got quite a few tomatoes coming, and two cherry tomatoes that are just about ripe. We haven't had the best luck with heirloom varieties, but so far the two that we planted (Black Krim and Green Zebra) have quite a few flowers and some little tomatoes coming right along.

The beans are growing and sending out their lovely of them is even using a sunflower as a support. They are also beginning to flower...can't wait for those fresh green beans. Mm mm mmm...they're one of my summer favorites.

The zucchini are doing well...we've already harvested three good sized zucchini and have a few more just about ready. I sauteed one of them the other night for Chris and I (Ian was at a friend's house) with some butter, olive oil, garlic powder and was very tasty. Not bitter at all like the ones at the grocery store can be.

Unfortunately, the peppers don't seem to be doing so well. Not sure if they don't get enough sun? Or what the problem is. I'm kinda thinking that peppers just get sort of a slow start. I'm not giving up on them yet...especially since one of the jalapenos has two peppers on it. I think they'll be OK.

So I gave everything a good soak this morning...saw a few ladybugs eating some bad bugs, stood still as a giant bumble bee buzzed around the zucchini and me (he was HUGE, I always try to get a photo but they never seem to land for me), admired the honey bees busily working away on the lavender.

It was so nice and peaceful, I love early mornings in the garden. I went to grab my phone to snap a few more photos and when I rested my hand on the deck rail I put my finger right in a fresh bird dropping. It took me a few seconds to realize what it was, but once I did I quickly rinsed it off (thoroughly!) with the hose, causing a bit of a mud puddle which I then proceeded to slip in thanks to no traction on the ol' flip flops. (Note to self: buy garden clogs.)

Luckily, I didn't fall completely on my arse but mud did splatter all over my pj bottoms, sludged all in between my toes, covered my flip flop in sand and mud...oh dear. I must have been a sight.

If I were a cartoon you'd have heard the "Morning" song from Looney Tunes as I flitted around the garden watering my vegetables, birds happily chirping, bees busily buzzing. Then comes the harsh record scratch as I skid and slip in the mud, flailing my arms in an effort to stay upright.

Keeping it real and staying humble folks...stay cool today. xo

For the Lord takes delight in his people;

    he crowns the humble with victory.
Psalm 149:4

1 comment:

Denise said...

oh my goodness - I'm so glad you didn't get hurt!!

so glad you have air - I wish we had it at times but too spendy to justify.

enjoy your day!