Thursday, March 17, 2011

Every once in a while...

Every once in a while....you need to stop what you're doing...forget about the chores...forget about the have-to's...forget about the stress and the worries and the bills.

 Every once in a while....you need a change of scenery...and you need to remember what's important.

Every once in a while...you need to take some good, deep breaths...throw caution to the wind...enjoy your life...and your family...and have fun.

 Every once in a while....you need to seize the moment...take note that there is NOTHING on the calendar...and load your family into the car and hit the road.



That's exactly what we did a couple of weekends ago. And it was good. Really good. It was a Saturday. We just got home from an early baseball game when we realized that we had the whole rest of the day OPEN. We made the spontaneous decision to hop in the car and head to the coast. It's a beautiful drive. It was a drizzly, beautiful day. We listened to loud music...and dreamt of what we were going to eat when we got to our favorite coastal deli. On the way we stopped at an amazing outcropping of climbing rocks. The boys were like billy goats...thank goodness I remembered my camera.

We ate our dinner...and it was as good as we knew it would be. Fish and chips for two...a burger for one...and chowder in a sourdough bowl with a BIG side of fries for the other. Soda in a bottle...at a table by the window. It was good. Conversation was good. Enlightening.

It was getting dark...time to head home. It began to rain...just in time. On the way home we drove through Starbuck's for a dessert of frappucinos. The boys played DJ with the iPods...playing music we all like. I danced and sang...they reminded me that I was driving. Oh...yeah...

It was a good day.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes, yes, and yes.

I was just thinking about our spring break which will be spent at home. I need to schedule some of these type of days.

teekaroo said...

Sounds wonderful. I get ideas like that now and then, but as soon as I get my three small children into the car, I remember why I don't like to travel with them. :) Did you change your banner? I like it. Never occurred to me to take a picture of my dishes, but I love that shot.

WhiteStone said...

Celebrating life with loved ones is always a good thing! Sounds like a heavenly day!

Mari said...

That sounds so perfect, and I am so glad you did it. I kind of forget what that's like, but will have to be spontaneous here sometime and do something almost as fun as you did. I say almost, cuz up here in flat land Indiana, there isn't a cool coastline, no beaches, and not alot of rocks to climb. Hey, but we have us a Starbucks or two. ha.

Love ya gal!! You have my permission to do it again soon.

Mavis said...

I love days like that :)

Unknown said...

Yes!!! I have to remind myself because I can tend to forget to stop and smell the roses!

Thanks for a beautiful reminder! Hope all is well with you!

Magnolia Handspun said...

It looks really good....nothing like a day with the fam.
So fun to see your boys M. Beutiful and fun images.
I lurv your new header!
best to you
xo

Kimberly said...

Lovely!! It's so easy to forget to just go outside and play.

Nancy said...

sounds great. all of it. cool pictures of the boys on the rocks. i would have picked fish & chips. mmm.