Monday, June 10, 2024

God loves us the way we are...

 God is good. He loves us so much. And when we choose to walk with Him, He takes the time to change us from the inside out. He purges old thoughts, habits and behaviors that will no longer serve us. 

If we let Him.

The purging process isn't easy. It means letting go of things that we once clung to that may have helped us in the past. Things like anger or control or manipulation...things that may have been a way to protect ourselves. Or things like habits, addictions...smoking, alcohol, drugs...or whatever you may use to escape from reality. Maybe learned behaviors passed down through generations.

As many of us know, the purging process isn't easy. And can sometimes be downright painful. Change is rarely easy. But it's necessary to make room for the new things God has for us. 

When God enters our hearts, He wants to fill us with new, GOOD things. But if we are full of old habits and behaviors, there isn't any room for Him. That's where the purging comes in. He wants to get rid of those things that, while helpful at one time in our lives (or so we thought), are unhealthy and sometimes quite damaging. 

The good news is that when God begins the process of cleaning us up, and purging things that no longer benefit us, He doesn't just leave those places void. He doesn't just remove those things from our lives without replacing them with something GOOD. He will fill the emptiness with love, grace, joy, hope and peace. He will fill those voids with HIMSELF. 

If we let Him.

 

Psalm 143:8-10 

Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, 

for I have put my trust in you. 

Show me the way I should go, for to you I entrust my life.

Rescue me from my enemies, LORD, for I hide myself in you.

Teach me to do your will, for you are my God; 

may your good Spirit lead me on level ground.

No comments: