Friday, August 8, 2008

The latest.

It's been way too long since I posted last...I can't seem to keep up with much of anything this summer. I am ready for school to start...I can get back to my regularly scheduled programming once the boys are back in school. Summer just always throws me off. I think the only thing keeping me somewhat sane is my garden...it's a good distraction from the heat and jumbledness of life.
Rather than writing IN a blog, I've been reading OTHER blogs for inspiration. I have been researching urban homesteading, chicken raising, gardening, canning and preserving...all things self-sustaining. There is so much good information out there...not to mention cool people who are striving toward the same things that I am...simplicity, purity, self-reliance. I'm only just beginning...but you've got to start somewhere, right?
My garden is doing quite well...the only complaint is that it's too small. We aren't growing nearly enough of our own food. But since this is the first year I've planted food it was a good start...and a good learning experience. I've definitely got some good ideas for next year...not to mention a long wishlist for the heirloom seed catalogs! My 13 year-old son, the one who refers to me "the health freak" because I make them read labels, said to me last night as we were sitting in the back yard, "Mom, next year we should try and grow ALL of our own produce so we don't have to buy ANY from anywhere else." Hmm...I do think I just might be rubbing off on him! My husband even got in on it last night as we planned a larger area for the garden next year. He agreed to build me a few more raised beds, a picket fence to keep the dog out (and, hopefully, some chickens IN) and a cute gated arbor as the entrance. I can't wait. It's going to be a long winter!

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

I have the same complaint in my garden - too small! Next year we are doubling it.