Sunday, August 25, 2013
Working full-time sure puts a damper on the ol' blog life, doesn't it? By the time I get off work, run an errand, change clothes, feed animals, check email, water gardens, think about something for dinner, think about just buying dinner, crunch numbers in my head then settle on fish sticks and mac and cheese for dinner...then there's clean-up and maybe a load of laundry, a quick vacuum or dust, maybe a wipe down of the bathroom...when I finally sit down I am ti-red. And not feeling particularly chatty.
All that being said...life is good. My job is good. My coworkers are good. Chris is enjoying his job. Ian is off to a good start at school. All is well for the most part...I can't complain.
It's times like these...when I'm busy...that I get inside my head and just sort of stay there for a while. The time is coming to take Seth to college soon and we need to start getting ready for that. Turns out he'll be in an apartment and not a dorm so that changes things a bit...more prep, more setting up house, different meal plans and more required for him to be able to feed himself.
It's a lot to think about...and plan for...in the midst of working, working, working. But we'll get it done...we always do. Everything will come together. And should a snag arise, we'll deal with it. It's all gonna work out...
(At least that's what I keep telling myself.)
How are you? Are you still out there? I wouldn't blame you if you passed on by...this blog has certainly changed as of late. When it started I was just learning about self-sufficiency and simpler living. But it seems that life has become less simple rather than more and I am having to adapt to it all. I'm buying convenience foods full of chemicals for the sake of ease...what can I say? Sometimes that is simplicity. The "simple life" isn't so simple, after all... But making a packaged rice to serve alongside some frozen fish sticks is...
So...as it turns out...this blog is just about life and all of the twists and turns life takes...life changes, situations change, we change...and so the day to day changes with it. And really, I'm OK with that.
Posted by Michelle @ Give a Girl a Fig at 12:32 PM
Sunday, August 18, 2013
Friday, August 16, 2013
Wednesday, August 14, 2013
Thursday, August 8, 2013
- I may have forgotten how to use my real camera. Thanks Instagram.
- I took my little camera to my cousin's wedding last weekend...got it all charged up and ready to document the evening. Who knew I didn't have a memory card with me? So, no pictures. (Well, a few on my phone but...they're lame.) I am sad.
- Working a full day is going well...I like it, actually. The time passes quickly.
- I haven't harvested one stinkin' zucchini this summer. And probably won't.
- And the tomatoes? Not much better. Not the best year for the ol' garden.
- I really need to get back on the Menu Plan bandwagon. Especially now that I'm working more.
- I feel like I could sleep for a week.
- I can't wait for rainy season.
- I have a game plan for when I'm a contestant on Chopped. (What? You never know. It could happen!)
- I didn't count calories today. At all.
- I haven't been walking.
- I watched an interesting documentary this afternoon...Without a Home. I borrowed it from the library during my lunch hour.
- I like going to the library during my lunch hour.
- I like having a lunch hour.
Have a good day...I'm headed to work...to a job that I like. How cool is that?
Posted by Michelle @ Give a Girl a Fig at 7:05 AM
Wednesday, August 7, 2013
Monday, August 5, 2013
This is my new favorite snack....it is SO STINKIN' GOOD.
Are you ready? Here it is...
A cup or so of Greek yogurt
a teaspoon of brown sugar
a peach cut into bite-size pieces and
a sprinkle of granola.
I gotta tell ya, I'm salivating just writing about it.
And wouldn't you know I'm out of Greek yogurt?
And no, this doesn't work with regular yogurt. It just doesn't. I mean, I guess it could. But...no. Not really. It's just not the same...not even close.
When I've been out of local peaches (because I only buy them locally in the summer making them an even sweeter treat!) I've also eaten this snack with ripe strawberries (delish) and just know it would be good with frozen blueberries. Mm mm mmm.
That settles it...I definitely have to take a drive out to the peach orchard after work tomorrow...$5 a box. Gotta get 'em while they last! Before we know it summer will be over....
Posted by Michelle @ Give a Girl a Fig at 9:55 PM